Chapter Five

Not edited
Dedicated to Ginger_Sweets

With my fluffy covers pulled up to my chin, I'm finally able to release a shaky breath I didn't realize I was holding in. Upon release, tears slide down my cheeks. If Alexander wasn't there, things could've gone so much worse than it did. I curl up into a fetal position and cry, letting everything out. I want to scream but I can't; the walls are too thin.

My thoughts wander back to after thanking Alexander. We walked in a comfortable silence to the packhouse, back to my room.

"Alexander-"

"Layla-" we started to say each other's names at the same time.

"You first," I whisper, suddenly exhausted. I can feel my eyes drooping as I lean against my door frame. He brings his palm up to my cheek. Instinctually, I lean into it. I blush thinking back to that moment.

"You're tired," he said, stating the obvious. I yawn in return, making my eyes water. He wipes away a small tear at the corner of my eye. I nearly melt underneath his touch. "Goodnight."

"Goodnight," the words get caught in my throat as he walks away. My body misses his touch already. Unfamiliar words are at the tip of my tongue. Everything in me screamed at me to say those three words. I can't possibly be in love with a man I just met and yet, there I was, standing in that hallway, I love you in my mouth, too afraid to be said out loud.

That conversation feels like it was a lifetime ago, instead of maybe half an hour. Once I feel like I've cried everything out, I peel my clothes off, still under my blanket. I carelessly throw them onto the floor beside my bed. Slowly, I feel myself drift into a dreamless sleep.

---------------------------------------------------------

My eyes flutter open and I stretch. I roll over and pick up my phone that I forgot to plug in last night. The numbers say 7:43 AM. I toss the phone down and snuggle into the blankets. Suddenly, I shoot up out of bed because I'm extremely late for training. If I'm lucky, I can join the tail end of our morning run. It takes me less than a minute to throw on a pair of running shorts, sports bra, and shoes.

I sprint out towards the back door, pulling my hair into a messy ponytail. I land on the porch. I glance around, searching for everyone. With nobody in sight, I channel my wolf to help me locate them. I lift my nose to the air. I find them, deep in the forest and prepare to shift.

"Layla?" Angie appears behind me, making me jump. "What're you doing here?"

"I'm here for training," I draw my eyebrows together in confusion.

"Alpha Alexander gave you a pass for training today," she smirks. My face heats up, embarrassed and upset. Does he think I can't handle running a few laps because of some boy making moves on me? I don't deserve special treatment and I'm not a little girl. I tell Angie just that, she shrugs. I tighten my laces and start running, Angie beside me.

We quickly reach the rest of the pack. I get a few glares and some sympathetic smiles. It appears that the scene caused last night has been traded around the house. I decide to keep my head down and do the stretches I see everyone else doing. Alpha Alexander stands at the front of the group, barking orders. I keep my eyes on the ground.

He tells us to round up for patrol duty assignments. We all press together. I try my best to avoid eye contact with Alexander, too hurt by his impression of me. I can't get over the fact that he thinks I'm weak. After the assignments are distributed, we disperse and training is officially over for the day. I stick behind, waiting for everyone else to clear out so I can spend extra time training.