He answers on the second ring. "Layla! Girl! How are you?"

"Things have been better," I say after greeting him. He asks me to spill and I do; every messy detail included. By the time I'm done, I feel so much better.

"Now, I'm no expert in hetero relationships," he starts, I respond with a snort. He ignores it and continues, "but I think he actually likes you."

"Funny way of showing it, no?" I pick at my cuticles and sigh. "I'm a grown woman, Ty. I don't want to play games anymore."

"Girl, I know. Trust me, I know. Men just mature later than women. A lot later. It's no excuse but it's the truth." I've had this speech from him too many times. I'm sensing a pattern of the guys I've been interested in.

We chat a little while longer about anything and everything. I tell him about Angie (he agrees with the My Little Pony argument) before he hangs up in a panic over something his sister was doing, leaving me to sit in my room in uncomfortable silence. Finally, I stand, stretch and make my way to the shower.

I take my time. Showering helps clear my head. I honestly swear by this method. My water bill was crazy after finals when I was in school. I relish the steaming water running down my tan body. After only a few weeks in the summer heat, I'm becoming a golden color that I love. I notice my body is a little more lean and muscular too. Alpha's training is no joke. 

Alpha. The person I was trying so hard to avoid in my shower thoughts. He always manages to weasel his way in. I try everything to shove him out of my head with no success. Sighing, I turn off the water. I towel dry because thankfully I had a good towel this time. 

Back in my room, I think about what I'm going to do for the rest of the day. If I'm not training or talking to Angie, I'm in my room, alone. Truthfully, I'm not a huge social butterfly but I'm determined to not spend my entire summer in my room. 

On the group chat of the whole pack, I find that there is a singles mixer being held in the basement tonight. I contemplate asking Angie to go with me, but eventually, decide against it. I should do this by myself, for myself. 

Since the mixer starts in two hours, I want to have plenty of time to get ready. Even if I don't find "the one", maybe I'll still make some friends so I'm not hanging over Angie constantly. 

Finally, the time has come for the mixer. If my instincts are correct, it's basically just a regular party. Before exiting my room, I give myself a once-over to make sure I'm happy with my outfit. 

I'm wearing matching muted green bike shorts and a crop top set with my platform Converse. Thankfully I sprang for the matching zip-up because the air conditioner has been on full blast today. I'm hoping to achieve the "effortlessly beautiful" look without trying too hard. Not to mention I brought mostly workout clothes because of training. 

I've only been in the basement once, and that was because Angie was making fun of me for never being in the basement before. I vaguely remember there is a pool table or two, a full bar, and a couple of couches. 

My memory must be better than what I thought it was because I was dead-on. The layout isn't too crowded, even with there being a bunch of people around already. The thing just started and already I can spot a few people wasted.

I make my way over to the bar where there are color-coded cups, all labeled. Red is for in a relationship. Green for single. Yellow is for hookups. Blue is for leave me alone. I grab a green cup and fill it with red wine that I found in a cabinet. There's a punch bowl that's neon green with chunks of fruit and gummy candy that I don't even consider touching. 

Cup in hand, I glance around the room and look for more green cups. It appears that the most common cup color is yellow; go figure. Not wanting to just stand a corner, by myself, I find a pool table. Luckily, a few people are looking for another player. I volunteer and introduce myself. 

The three other players greet me and introduce themselves as well. Lizzie and Woods introduce themselves. I note their matching red cups, occasional longing glances, and whispers to each other. The other player, a very attractive blond man, holds a green cup and smiles confidently at me. I return the smile and raise my cup. His name is Jonas. 

Jonas and I aren't very good at pool, a very quick discovery we made. I don't know if it's the drinking or the fact he's pretty attractive, but we're leaning on each other, laughing, just looking for excuses to make physical contact. 

I'm lining up to take my final shot, it seems almost perfect. Jonas comes up behind me, pressing himself against my body, and helps straighten my cue stick. Just as I'm pulling it back to launch it forward, I feel a very familiar figure approaching, staring me down. I glance up as my hand slips, causing me to miss the shot. 

Alpha's grey eyes icily land on mine, his arms crossed, looking very frustrated. I'm suddenly very aware of Jonas' body on me and feel myself turn red from embarrassment. His touch no longer feels cute and flirty; it sickens me. I flinch away from the man I once found attractive and rush towards Alexander. He starts towards the stairs, but I reach him before he disappears. 

"Alexander," I say, not realizing my mistake. He whirs around, eyes burning with anger. 

"That's Alpha to you," he roars. A hush falls over the room as everyone turns to look at us. My face reddens even more. I follow him up the stairs, apologizing. 

"Please, Alpha," I beg as I trail him, knowing full well I look like a lost puppy. We approach his office where he flings the door open and shoves me inside. My back hits the wall as he pushes me against it. 

"Layla," he says huskily, "you have no idea what you do to me."

With that, his lips hungrily greet mine. My mind explodes as I realize I've never been truly kissed before. I've been kissed but nothing can even come close to this moment right here. He pulls away from me, his eyes dark. I stare up into his grey orbs and see my entire future. I know by the way he inhales slightly that he feels it too. 

"Alexander," I test his name out on my tongue. He doesn't correct me. "I think that you're my-"

"Mate," he finishes my thought before I can. My heartbeat quickens as we stand there, staring at each other. 

"I want to be your mate, Alexander," I say, breaking our silence. He doesn't answer, instead, he just stares at me with the same heated gaze as from before. 

---------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note:

I just LOVE leaving you guys with cliffhangers... Haha.

Also, I entered this book, along with a few others into the #wattys2017!!!

Word Count: 1897

Don't forget to favorite and comment!❤

Love,

Galaxy Potato

❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤