Sensing Alpha Alexander standing a few feet behind me, I speak. "I'm not a little girl, you know."

"I know," he says, voice flat. His lack of reaction only fuels my anger.

"I don't need you giving me a pass from training just because of what happened last night," I approach him, arms crossed. He chuckles humorlessly.

"You're adorable when you're mad," he ruffles my hair. I shove him away, seething.

"You're a misogynistic pig," I spit, jabbing a finger into his chest. It's hard beneath my fingertip. He grips my wrist, jerking my hand away. I hiss, pulling it to my chest.

"Layla," he starts. I back away from him. "You're upset, which is understandable considering everything that has happened but your anger is very misplaced. I didn't hurt you."

"Don't tell me what I'm feeling," my hurt and anger are indescribable at this point. I thought I'd finally met someone that would validate me and not treat me as less-than because of my gender. I was clearly led astray. "The last thing I need is a man I barely know man-splaining my own feelings to me."

"I'm not man-splaining," he says with air quotations and an eye roll. "I'm trying to help."

"You're not listening to me!" I throw my hands up in the air, shaking with rage, "I do not need your help. I never even asked for your help. Just leave me alone."

His jaw tightens as I yell at him. He nods stiffly, turns on his heel, and storms away. My stomach turns as I realize I didn't want him to go. It felt so good just releasing my emotions. I try to stretch, hoping it'll release the tension I'm carrying but I can't bring myself to continue. I collapse to the ground, looking up at the clouds.

I don't know how long I stay there, just watching. Slowly, a steady stream of tears slides from my crystal blue eyes. I note a slight breeze coming in, carrying the smell of rain. I anticipate a storm coming soon. As if on cue, I notice the clouds becoming grey. A clap of thunder sounds in the distance and it's suddenly sprinkling.

I don't bother moving, letting the light mist soak through my thin shorts.

"Layla?" I hear a voice call out. I keep staring up at the sky. The voice belongs to Angie. I feel her settle in next to me, her arm pressed against mine. Her other arm holds her head above the ground, looking up. "Do you want to talk about it?"

I shake my head, my emotions too heavy in my chest. The rain becomes heavier. Angie rises to her feet and offers me a hand. I shake my head again and shield my eyes from the downpour.

"You can't stay out here, Layla," she says softly.

"Why not?" I whisper more to myself and the clouds than to Angie. I hear her sigh, promise she'll be back soon, and retreat from where she came. The sky is now dark, angry. The clouds comfort me, in a way. 

Somewhere behind me a branch snaps, Angie must be back already. 

"Back so soon?" I attempt to joke but it falls flat. Instead of Angie's light melodic voice, I hear Alpha's rough and full voice.

"I'm sorry," he says so sincerely my chest squeezes. I pinch my eyes shut, pushing away my feelings of forgiveness. I can't let him off the hook so easily. 

"Okay," I say, not moving. I feel him lay beside me. Despite the freezing rain, my skin is on fire where he touches me. I resist the urge to press my body closer to him, desperate for warmth. I'm starting to feel how cold I am.

"I looked up what man-splaining meant," he starts, a slight lilt to his voice. "You were right. That's exactly what I did and I'm so sorry." I don't answer him.

"I also googled how to help sexual assault survivors," he says cautiously. My skin bristles at the words sexual assault. "I went about it all wrong, Layla. I know you probably won't want to speak to me, but I'm sure I can find someone better." 

I glance up at him. His grey eyes are wide with genuine care and concern. His brown hair is plastered to his forehead with rainwater. I brush it back. He leans into my touch a little, I almost don't notice. 

"I think Angie would be a great fit," he suggests. I stiffen, remembering how close they were in that room. I quickly draw my hand away, almost like I was burnt. He cocks his head slightly at my sudden movement. "What's wrong? I always see you and Angie together."

"Nothing," I mumble, turning my attention back towards the sky. The thunder is significantly closer, a lightning bolt strikes about a mile away. 

"Layla," he breathes out. My eyes find him again and I can't help but feel hurt. I don't want to feel like this when he and Angie are possibly together; girl code and all that. Still, my body yearns for his touch. 

"I saw you and Angie," I surprise myself with the bitterness in my voice. It must surprise Alexander too because his eyebrows shoot up.

"What're you talking about?" he says with so much confusion that I almost believe him. I laugh dryly. 

"In that room last night. You said you've never felt like that before," I explain, eyes back on the clouds. Alexander sits silently for a second for laughing. He laughs for a long time, wheezing in between each string of laughter. "I'm glad you find this humorous." 

"Layla," he says, voice rough and raw from laughing. The roughness of his voice lights my body on fire. I love hearing my name on his tongue like that. "Nothing is happening between me and Angie."

This sets off another round of laughter for him as if uttering those words is endlessly hilarious. I sit up, cross my arms. He's still laughing, rolling around in the soaked grass. Once I'm standing, I start walking away, back to the house to change out of my drenched clothes. He's suddenly behind me, gripping my arm. He spins me around and we're face to face. 

"Do you know why you shouldn't worry about her?" he asks, serious. I shake my head, watching the rain pour down his face. His hair is clumped together, sticking to his forehead again. As if on autopilot, I push out of the way again. He smiles, leaning in even closer. I can smell mint on his breath. "Because she's my sister."

Before I can truly process what he had just said, his lips are hovering over mine. We are mere centimeters from each other's lips when lightning strikes, much closer this time. I jump away from him, out of the trance he just had me in. 

"We should get inside," he says softly. I nod, at a loss for words. We make our way back to the packhouse, thought bubbles floating above our heads, no doubt thinking the same thing. 

---------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note:

I hope you guys are enjoying this so far. I also wanted to thank Ginger_Sweets for supporting me throughout this book so far. Your comments and votes are really appreciated. Thanks!!!

Don't forget to favorite and comment! ❤

Word count: 1,881

Love,

Galaxy Potato

❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤