Memories

"...MARRY ME!

SHARE THE REST OF YOUR LIFE WITH ME"

I remember those words as if he had told me yesterday. But since Seijūrõ's proposal and today have already been passed almost 10 years.

We have married the summer when we finished high school and went back to Tokyo to finish college. A year later our son Kojirou was born who resembles his father in more than his appearance. Seijūrõ made his Bachelor of business - International Event Management, Bachelor in Business Studies - Business Communication and also his Bachelor in Business Studies - International Relations and started to overtake his fathers company one year ago.

'I still can't believe that he finished all of this within those ten years. He really is amazing'

But these past ten years were not only filled with happiness. Last year my health worsened and my disease came back and now here I am again, chained to the hospital bed. My heart as weak as it was before I got the new drug treatment that gave me nine wonderful years without any symptoms.

Seijūrõ who was busy with running the family business tried to visit at least once a day and spend half of the nights of the week with me here in the hospital and on weekends at home with our son. In my condition I wasn't able to raise Kojirou and so  Seijùrõ and I decided to accept his fathers proposal to look after our five years old son. Masaomis behaviour has changed since our marriage and he treated our son strict but also with warmth. Seijūrõ told me that it was different when he was young and knowing this left a contradicted feeling within me. I felt glad that he cared for our son this much but at the same time I felt sad that he didn't treated Seijūrõ as he does treat Kojirou now.

Whenever Kojirou visited me in the hospital I gathered as much strength as possible to not let him know how worse my condition actually was. But sometimes late at night when I was by myself I broke down and cried in dispair, afraid to leave them too early.

As more weeks passed the more I feared to die soon and although I could hide it at the beginning Seijūrõ figured out very quickly how I really felt inside and spent more time with me, against my approval. He even took me out to see the cherry blossoms or to visit my parents and brothers in Tatsuno but sometimes he just took me home for a few hours where I could spend time with him and Kojirou. Whenever the weather was nice Seijùrõ and I were sitting on a bench in the garden where we watched Kojirou playing with Genjirõ and for a moment I could forget my health, lost in the wonderful moment with my family.

The end of another year neared fast and in the middle of December snow covered most parts of Tokyo.

Seijūrõs birthday would be in four days but I got more tired the closer the day came. Before I was at least able to get up on the edge of my bed but now when I tried I got bad dyspnoa. I couldn't even gave Seijūrõ nor Kojirou the tight hug that they were used to get from me and had to have constantly additional oxygen. The doctors increased the dose of my medication but even that did t changed my condition. They said they have bad prognosis for me and that I probably won't last another four days when I won't get a new heart soon. Deep inside I knew it all the time but now that they have spoken it out I could finally accept it. But I insisted that they won't say anything about it to Seijūrõ. He wouldn't be able to accept it. And for myself I made one last important decision, that I will hold on until his birthday, whatever it will require.

The day before his birthday finally came and Seijūrõ decided to take half of the day off to spend it with me and Kojirou. Maybe he knew that my life span had almost reached its end. Sitting in one of the hospitals wheelchairs he shoved me through the park of the hospital. Kojirou was walking beside him. For me it was obviously that he faked false optimism while he made plans for our future but neither was it bothering me nor had I the strength to interrupt him. I just was listening at the soothing sound of his voice.