Xenofondi

Closing the door softly behind her, Lady Mara watched her son sit by the window in deep thought and her heart twisted with pain. She knew exactly what bothered her son, but this time she was unable to help him, he has to do this on his own in order for the prophecies to be fulfilled. Her son, who looked identical to his father, was her only hope to fulfill all her hopes and dreams. Thinking about the past brought depressed suicidal thoughts in her mind and as always, Lady Mara did her best to avoided allowing her thoughts to go into that direction.

"Xenofondi?" She whispered, startling her son who was lost in a world of his own.

"Mother stop using my birth name, you know how dangerous that is!" Evan said angrily, but as always he was not able to hold anything against his beloved mother whom he treasured more than his own life. Pulling her onto his lap, he wrapped his arms around her and kissed her on the cheek.

Lady Mara dropped her head on his shoulders and cried her heart out. She needed to release all her pain and suffering, it has been too many years of torture and it was taking its toll on her.

Squeezing her tightly in his arms, Xenofondi whispered, "Don't cry mother, I will fix things very soon, and you shall not suffer anymore."

Not wanting her son to know that she was on the tip of breaking down, she plastered a fake smile on her face and removed herself from his lap. "I am not suffering, those were tears of joy, for I am the luckiest mother in the world."

The black smith narrowed his eyes and studied his mother's tear stained face, he wanted nothing more than to see his mother living a life of happiness, but he knew that tis was impossible, for she was keeping secrets from him and until he discovered what that may be, he could not help her.

"Mother, I promise you that I will bring a smile on your face soon." Xenofondi said, "I will fill this house with laughter once again, I will give you grandchildren to dote on and a daughter in law to grace the halls of our castle that will call you mother!"

"Then Xenofondi, I will be the happiest mother in the whole wide world!" Lady Mara burst with joy at the thought of her home filled with little ones and her eyes sparkled with more tears, but her son watched her carefully and knew that even then, she would not be complete for there was for certain something missing in her life, he could tell just by looking deep into her misty eyes.

"Mother don't use my birth name, you know that Saundra is still under our roof, and I suspect she is secretly visiting the witches castle. If she were to find out my birth name she will destroy me amd God only knows what she will do to you!"

"Aye son, you are right, we must keep the name a secret and guard with it with our life," His mother whispered, "but when you are free of the curse, I will call you by your given name and allow the memory of your grandfather who chose your name, to come to life!"

Xenofondi looked away from his mother, his name was given to him by his grandfather before he was killed by the witch. The black smith was then cursed by the witch.

"For if your name is spoken out loud while looking you straight in the eyes, the same fate as your grandfather will befall you, I curse the name Xenofondi for as long as you shall live!" The witch had hissed. "Your name shall be a weapon that can be used against you!"

All his life, his mother and the witch were the only two people alive beside him that knew his real name. The secret was kept safe from everyone in order to stay alive, for that was the only way the black smith could die.
***********
Upstairs in the black smiths chamber lay Alana, unable to sleep and rest her aching body, she was left with nothing else to do but ponder on her troubled thought's.