Message in a Bottle

"Are you crying?" Pauletta asked Roula. "You want a Kleenex?"

Wiping her tears with the back of her hand, Roula shook her head. "No thank you."

"I know how you feel, this movie is one of my all time favorites!" Pauletta threw back the blanket and jumped off the couch. "Here," she said, throwing a box of Kleenex on Roula's lap, "the movie is not over yet and the part that will have us both balling in tears has yet to come!"

"This movie is so romantic," Pauletta said, "I mean, how creative to place a message in a bottle and throw it in the river, and what are the chances that the person who finds it will come looking for you and you will fall in love? Things like that don't really happen in real life, only in Hollywood do you find love in a bottle!"

Pulling a few tissue out of the box, Roula wiped her tears, "Things  like that don't really happen, but parallel worlds do? Do you hear yourself Letta?" 

"What I meant was, Hollywood stories are very romantic, I mean, who would put a message in a bottle and throw it in the river?"

Roula averted her eyes, avoiding eye contact with her friend. 

Pauletta raised an eyes brow, "Um, what was that all about?"

"Well, on this exact day, a few years ago, I was at a friends house and I saw this movie for the first time and I thought it was a great idea to write a message and place it in the bottle, so I did!"

"What?" 

Taking a deep breath of inhalation, Roula explained herself, "Well I was feeling lonely and very sad, and you know how I get when I feel lonely and sad, so I wrote a long love letter, and placed it in a bottle and threw it in the river!"

"What the freaking hell did you write in this letter?" 

"I expressed my feelings, I wrote everything that was in my heart."

"What exactly did you write!"

"I wrote what my opinion of love was, and what I wanted in a man, I literally poured my heart out on paper!" 

"Why?"

"I don't know, maybe because I am disappointed  with life. Fairy tales are not true, you are right Letta, only in the Hollywood movies will you find true love. 

"I used to believe that, but ever since I found James, I know that love exists in the real world."

***********

Nicholas rode his black stallion fiercely through the forest, loving the feel of the wind that blasted across his face. The icy air whistled around his ears and his finger and toes were numb from the cold, but he cared not, It was almost time for lunch and he wanted to get to Sterlingshire in time to grab a seat near the ladies of the court. A beautiful red head had caught his eye and today he was going to woo her into his bed.

The sun filtered through the many trees in the forest that were covered with snow, and their branches bow with the heavy load, bending to the ground that was covered with shimmering snow, it was truly a majestic scene found only in fairly tales.

The Druid pulled the reins and the beautiful, black stallion slowed down as they came near the river. Nicholas's turquoise eyes scanned across the majestic scene before him, and squared his shoulders proudly. Taking in a deep breath of inhalation, the warrior rode the black stallion all the way to the bank of the river and jumped off his horse. 

The black stallion bobbed his head in the water and drank thirstily, as Nicholas Macalister waited patiently. He was anxious to return to Sterlingshire to win over the red head, she was on his mind the entire morning. The wench was going to leave first thing tomorrow morning to visit family, and he wanted to pop her Cherie before she left. Word had it that she was still a virgin, and Nicholas wanted to be her first. He loved them tight and innocent. 

His stallion lifted his head away from the water and Nicholas was about to grab the reins when he thought he saw a shiney object in the river. Squinting his eyes, he took a few steps closer and noticed that the object was a bottle. But it wasn't the fact that it was a bottle that caught his attention, it was the fact that the bottle was not from his world. Leaning forward, the Druid dipped his hand in the water and grabbed the bottle just as the current pushed it towards him, as if he were meant to have it. 

As soon as Nicholas wrapped his hand around the bottle, an electrical current ran up his arm and throughout his body, shaking him to the core. Stunned that a mere bottle had an effect on him, he dropped the bottle and watched it roll against a huge rock that was a few feet away from where he stood and break.  As it shattered into tiny fragments of glass, Nicholas saw a piece of paper rolled up with a ribbon wrapped around it. 

"What the hell!" The warrior cursed out loud, as he bent over and grabbed the rolled up paper. 

Pulling the blue ribbon out, the roll unfolded and Nicholas read the words that were neatly written on it. Never in his life had the warrior thought that words could hold so much power over him. It was as if each letter, each word, came to life and wrapped around his heart. Who was the athor of such writings, Nicholas wondered, that could touch his heart? He, the mighty warrior, was moved to tears by words of love that were written from a complete stranger. 

The Druid must have read the letter a hundred times, forgetting about lunch and the red head. It was hours later that he carefully collected the shattered glass and placed them on the paper. He then folded the letter and slipped It along with the blue ribbon inside his pocket. Jumping on the black stallion, he steered the horse towards Sterlingshire. Mayhap, he thought, the wizard can identify from what century the glass was from, and he can go find the author of that letter. 

Thank you for your votes and comments. Xoxoxo