'To Be or Not To Be, That is the Question'

Valerie was up all night tending to the Queen. The royal highness tossed and turned all night and coughed her head off. The Druidess repeated her doctoring, with the torch and glasses, and applied the healing herbs once again on the Queen's back, and by the time the sun came out and shined its glowing rays across Scotland, the Queen was well on her way to recovery. Only then did the young Druidess release a sigh of relief, and settled back in her chair. 

She was plagued with thoughts of William the entire night. She loved him more than she loved herself, he had made his way deep into her heart and she knew that she could not live without him, but she also knew that she could not live with him either. 

"How is my wife!" The king roared anxiously, as he burst inside the queen's chamber and headed straight to the her bedside. 

Valerie who had almost fallen asleep on the chair, jumped up and curtsied, "Your  Majesty, she is recovering well, and should be back to herself by this evening!"

The King raised an eyes brow, either this girl is an imposter and just lied through her teeth, or she is a miracle worker, he thought as he sat on the huge bed next to his wife. Taking the queen's hand into his, he brought it slowly to his lips and closed his eyes tightly before he pressed a kiss to her hand. The Queen opened her eyes and gave him a weak smile and the King almost fell off the bed from his excitement. 

"How are you fairing my love?" He asked hoarsely. 

The Queen was surprised by his choice of words, not having heard him mouth tender words to her for a very long time, and was overwhelmed. "I'm in mint condition." She said weakly.

"Now, now! Don't exhaust yourself by talking, save your strength, you will need it for the planning of the Christmas Eve ball." He told her, and he wondered if she would be healthy enough to plan and participate such an event that was only a week away.

"I feel fine!" The Queen said and tried to lift herself from the bed.

"My Queen, no!" Valerie said as she shot to her feet, "you must rest today, and I promise you tomorrow you can walk the palace and feel good as new!" 

The Queen turned sideways and was surprised to find a stranger in her room. "And who might you be?" She snapped.

"My....my..name is Valerie, and I...am..a Healer." She stuttered, as fear struck her heart. If the Queen didn't take a liking to her, she might be thrown out and not get a chance to see William again. 

The Queens's eyes slowly drifted down Valerie's ragged gown all the way to her bare feet. "Don't you have a pair of boots child?" She asked, as she raised her eyes to meet the Druidess. "You will catch your death cold!"

"I'm fine, really I am, my feet can not feel the cold." Valerie said shyly. 

"Nonsense! I'm sure we have an old pair to give you that might fit you. What is your name child?" The Queen asked just as a slave walked in with fresh linen.

"Valerie, your highness." 

"Take her with you and find her a pair of boots, and give her some left over scraps to eat, she seems to be all flesh and bones, and looks sickly, hurry, run along now, you know how I get when I'm in the company of slaves for too long!" The Queen said to the slave, before she threw her attention back to the King. "I do hate it when the low life's are around me, they should be grateful for the privledge to be in our presence and kneel before us!" 

"Yes, tis true my Queen, I shall see to it that she gets the whip for not kneeling before royalty!" The King agreed. Secretly glad to have a reason to mark the servants body, he hated her because she was a threat to the crown.

"See to it that she only gets one lash, I don't think her body can withhold more than that, I don't want to do too much harm to her, only enough to teach her and all our slaves that there are consequences if they fail to abide by the laws, we are after all royals and they are nothing but worthless slaves, and they should be reminded once in a while their place in this palace, we don't want them to feel as if they are our equals and can get away without kneeling before us, use her as example to the other slaves!"

"Aye, I'm afraid you speak the truth my Queen, I shall get on it right away!" The King said as he lifted himself to his feet and left the Queen's chambers. 

A small smile curved his lips, this was as good as any time to whip the servant, William was hunting with his cousins and would not be here to witness the whipping. He could give her two lashes or maybe even three, the Queen would never know, and bybthebtime William returns it will be too late!

*************

Valerie was in the kitchen eating bread and cheese when two of the kings men came and pulled the Druidess roughly to her feet. The young woman was terrified and demanded they take their paws off her when the King walked in and ordered them to take her out in the courtyard. 

Terrorized, Valerie almost tripped over her feet when the two warriors dragged her out into the courtyard. The church bells were ringing in the towers and people ran out in huge courtyard to see what was amiss. 

"This slave dared to come before the Queen without bowing in her presence, therefore insinuating that she is her equal and that is treason!" The King yelled out loud to make sure that everyone heard him clearly. "And everyone knows the punishment of treason! For the first offense, and because she healed the Queen of her ailment, she will receive only three lashes!" 

Valerie was frozen with fear, and rivulets of tears streamed down her beautiful face. She could feel her heart pounding against her chest, this must be a nightmare, she thought frantically as someone unbuttoned the back of her worn out gown, pulled it down to her waist, and then pushed her to the ground. 

She watched through her tears as the king grabbed the leather whip in his hands and called out for everyone to step aside. Closing her eyes, Valerie did the only thing she knew to do."Forgive him father, he is ignorant of his sins." She prayed in a mere whispered, as the first lash whipped through the air and slashed into her creamy, tender flesh.

Their was a gasp from the crowd as they watched blood ooze out from her ripped skin. The King had heard her prayer and was confused that she prayed for him even as he prepared to thrash her. He was disturbed by her behavior and wanted to stop right here right now, but for the fact that everyone was watching and he needed to set the good example and place fear in the hearts of the other slaves so they could think twice before committing treason against the crown. 

Raising his right hand, the whip went flying in the air and everyone braced themselves, as they waited to see if the slave will call out for mercy, but just as the whip was about to mark Valerie's tender skin once again, William flew out of nowhere in front of the King and grabbed the whip in mid air. 

"Father what have you done!" William yelled angrily, "oh GOd what have you've done!" 

"Step aside son, the slave has committed treason! You know that that is punishable by law!"

"No father,  she is innocent of the crimes against her!" He yelled, and collected Valerie off the ground and walked away, daring anyone to stop him. 

The King marched behind him angrily, "Bring her back, I command you?" The King roared.

"This time you have gone too far father and I shall never forgive you!" William cried in a tortured voice as he stepped inside the palace.  

Note: so far it looks as if the blacksmith is winning, let's wait for a few more chapter and see.

Thank  you for your continued support. Xoxoxoxxoxxo