A Beam of Light

Alana fluttered her eye lashes, opened her eyes, and tried to adjust to the sunlight that streamed through the ivory curtains that were draped around the French windows. Nothing in the room looked familiar to her and she tried to focus her scattering thoughts and figure out where she was.

"Mistress, she's has awaken!" The servant girl said excitedly.

Lady Mara swiftly walked over to Alana's bed side and smiled down at her. "Good morning."

Confused, Alana held the ivory sheet tightly and pulled it up to her chin before she looked up at the beautiful woman and asked, "Who
are you, where am I?"

"Please don't worry yourself with many questions, you are safe in our home, child." Mara told her lovingly, "let me attend to your wounds and afterward I will answer all your questions."

Lady Mara threw a quick glance at the servant and seconds later the young girl placed a silver tray on the small table next to the bed. Mara gently pulled back the the ivory silk sheet that covered the young maiden and attended to Alana's wound.

After removing the old healing leaves from the wound and cleansing it thoroughly, lady Mara  sprinkled crumbled little pieces of healing herbs on the wound and then placed fresh healing leaves over that. Alana watched as the beautified lady with the gentle hands changed her dressing carefully and didn't even wince once. 

"What did you do, I don't feel any pain." Alana asked, surprised that with a wound of that magnitude she didn't feel a single thing.

"I sprinkled special healing herbs on your wound and numbed the pain."

After tying a clean strip of cloth around Asia's wounded thigh to keep the herbs in place. Mara smiled down at the Druidess and said, "there now, you are as good as new."

Collie the servant girl removed the remnants of the old dressing along with the tray and everything else on it, and quietly left the chambers. Both woman remained still until she was gone, and then Alana broke the silence first.

"Please, where am I?"

Lady Mara pulled the ivory sheet and covered Alana's body before answered, "You are our guest in Lemont Manor, where you shall remain until you are healed."

She refrained from telling her that she will not be allowed to leave until she and her son have made the soulmate connection. Lady Mara was not going to risk missing out on this opportunity, and she was going to do whatever it took to speed things along.

"I don't remember what happened, how did I get here?"

"My son found you passed out in the forest, he collected you and brought you here." Lady Mara explained. "Tis a good thing he found you otherwise you would have bled to death!"

**************

There was no need for more wood, but Evan chopped the logs all morning to keep himself busy. Images of the beautiful woman laying in his bed haunted him and he needed a distraction.

Who was she and where had he seen her before, he wondered, as he threw the last of the logs on the huge pile and dropped his ax on the dirt ground.

"You are here." Her voice was sweet and soft, yet there was a touch of sorrow that one could hear if they leaned in closer.

Evan whirled around and his eyes softened as they fell on Saundra, "Aye?"

"I have missed you for two days, and came to see for myself how you are fairing." She told him, as she walked up to him and threw her arms around his tapered waist.