New York

University of New York, September 2nd 2015, 3:30 p.m.

Pauletta slammed her body up against the wall and closed her eyes. She was very tired and just wanted to go home and sleep, but she had to be at work in half an hour. Taking a deep breath of inhalation she pulled her body away from the wall and headed to the parking lot where her old beater was parked. 

There wasn't enough gas in the tank and Pauletta prayed that it would be enough to at least take her to work. Pauletta hoped it wasn't going to be too busy today at Starbucks, her head was throbbing and she knew it will be a very trying day at work. She should call in sick and go home to rest, but her boss would fire her on the spot if she called in sick again. 

On the third try, the engine started and off she went, speeding down fifth avenue to get to work on time. "I swear, I will take this piece of shit to the junk yard once I save enough money to by myself a decent car!" She muttered to herself, as her foot hit the gas pedal and she passed up a red light. 

Juggling a crappy job and school wasn't an easy thing to do, she thought, as she looked in the review mirror and saw the red and blue lights flashing behind her.

"Damn!" She swore out loud and pulled up at the curb. Rolling down her window, she saw the police officer from the review mirror get out of his car and make his way to her.

Turning off the air conditioner to save on gas, she flashed a smile at the officer and hoped he wasn't going to write her a ticket. 

"Driver license and insurance card." He said sternly.

"Jerk!" She muttered under her breath.

"Excuse me?" The officer said.

Pauletta rolled her eyes and looked for her insurance card. She gave her license and card to the officer and hoped he would hurry up so she won't be late for work. 

"Stay put, I'll be right back!" The officer said and walked back to his police car.

With a sinking heart, the young woman closed her eyes and prayed the officer won't notice that her insurance card had expired the month before. 

"Miss did you know your insurance card expired a month ago?" The officer said when he came back to her car. "I had to write you two tickets, I forgave the sticker on your license plate that expired almost a year ago! You might want to go buy yourself a new sticker, you won't be so lucky the next time!" 

The officer took off his police hat to scratch his head, and Pauletta did everything she could not to laugh, the sun shined over his shiny, bald head and he reminded her of uncle fessor from the Adams family television show. 

"You all right miss?" The officer asked, and Pauletta couldn't help herself and she finally laughed out loud, "step out of the car miss, I suspect you under the influence!" 

What?

"No, no, please officer, I apoligize if I have offended you, but I'm running late for work and if I don't leave now I will be fired!" Pauletta begged.

On the road again, Pauletta was grateful that she avoided a slap on her wrist"'s, the officer let her go with just a warning and two tickets and she was careful when she pulled away not wanting the officer to stop her again, but once she was out of his view, she stepped on the gas again and got to work three minutes before four o'clock.

Making her way to the back of the store, Pauletta threw her purse under the counter and quickly grabbed an apron. She sighed with relief that she made it just in time, when the clock struck four she was taking a order from a customer.