Chapter 7 - The Test...

The room was different. I stared at it sleepily, tugging the bed down, finding that everything had been moved. Or was it even the same room? The sheets were black and silver, with geometric shapes on them, no desk, there was a different painting on the wall, and the sound of a city outside. A city? That didn't seem right at all.

Nick was still there though. I inhaled slowly, breathing in that smell of his, and he seemed to wake when I shifted closer.

"I don't know who you are but I can't say I mind finding you here." He opened one eye, taking in my naked chest like he'd never seen it before, inhaling slowly. Then his eyes met my face and there was nothing in them, no reignition, no love, no familiar grin.

"What are you talking about? Where are we?" I wasn't dreaming. What the hell was going on? What was he doing with his face? He was staring at me like I was a crazy person found in his bed.

"I'm in my bed. How did you get into my apartment?" He slid up and yawned, stretching, wearing some t-shirt I'd never seemed before. Another inhale, his eyes narrowing, as he seemed to take notice of the werewolf smell now that he was close enough. "And why do you smell like a wolf?"

I gawked at him. He really genuinely didn't seem to know who I was. And what the hell was with the sound of the city? The taxis? The shouting? I was groggy but it seemed to be coming from the window covered by the blind.

What if I hadn't been there? What if I had lost my mind while running, in New York, and had hunted down the only familiar face I could find. Made up all of this. I stared at my body, expecting to see the t-shirt, and finding myself in jeans and a sweater. What the hell was going on? Was I going mad?

"Antonio?" Nick called, louder, as he slid out the side of his bed. "Easy, lady. Antonio? You better come see this."

"What are you talking about? I'm Anne. You know, the woman you're marrying today?" There was the sudden sound of a taxi near by, honking loudly, no sound of forest at all.

"Sorry, um, Anne, I don't marry. I think you've got the wrong man. Shame though."

"I feel sick."

I felt like I was going to throw up. I threw myself out of bed, ignoring Nick's call to come back, and went for the door that had once been an ensuite in the dream exactly at the same time the door to the bedroom flew open.

I threw up, coughing, as Nick rushed in behind me. He seemed to have lost that face and he was really genuinely looking shocked now.

"Shit, Anne, what... I was just joking, I thought it'd be funny."

"What the hell have you done to the guest room?" Jeremy snapped. Wow. He was actually sounding angry. 

"Made it look like a city room. Cool, huh?"

"He ….said... he didn't know me." I said, coughing, the vile taste and overpowering smell of vomit making my head return to the toilet. Was he joking? What the kind of sick joke was that!

Elena was right behind him, hitting him hard across the back of the head. "Fucking hell, Nick, that wasn't funny." Elena charged at Nick, who backed up.

"I thought she'd realise I was kidding. Play along."

"With the sound of a city coming out of the phone you dangled out of the window? That'd screw any werewolf up. Argh." That was Elena's growl, going at him again, as Nick ducked out of the way again, dancing around her to yank my hair up.

Another hand yanked him into the bedroom, Antonio's voice coming through the door, as he told him off as well and pulled him out of the bedroom.

"Sorry, I heard him doing something last night, but I figured it was the two of you having fun together." She rubbed my back as the vomiting finally finished and I flushed it away.