Chapter 4 - The first rescue

"Nick!." I knelt beside him, expecting him to be dead or... my heart was in my throat, the stench of his blood, the hard breathing, and the hand creeping up my thigh... 

Wait, what?

Nick opened one eye and grinned up at me. "Better view of you down here. I like it. Stay put."

"Fucking hell, Nick. I was about to have a heart attack." I groaned, flopping, as he winked up at me. If he was able to joke then he wasn't that badly hurt. I prodded the wound on his shoulder and he hissed in pain. "You deserve that."

"Did it go all the way through?" Clayton asked when we came out, glacning over his shoulder. "The bullet."

I pulled Nick up into a sitting position and checked the back. Nothing on the other side, no wound, nothing. So... "It's still in there then?"

"Shit. Probably. We'll deal with it in the car."

He handed me the fabric he'd been wrapping around it, instructing me to bind it firmly, but not too much, and I did as he asked. He didn't seem to be dying, just in a lot of pain, and I had to trust him to know what he had to do.

Clayton gestured to the truck. Did he want us to drive it? Probably not. I slid the doors open and only now rememberd that they'd been moving one pet into it when I arrived.

She was terrified, I could smell it, though her eyes flashed at us in the darkness, challanging us all the same. She was standing against the back of the truck, a chain in one hand, a knife in the other. The look was gone as fast as it had come though when she saw Nick and myself, equally as naked as she was, clearly not the usual uniform she'd see around here.

"You better bloody well be the rescue party or you may as well leave me here." Her voice was very Australian, weak, but full of a real anger still. I didn't know how long they'd had her but she was very clearly not broken. Pale green eyes flashed at us in the light of the house, her dark brown hair framing a too-thin face. 

"Danielle?"

"Who's asking?"

"Reece's pack sister." Nick answered for me. He was staring at her like he couldn't quite believe it, and neither could I.

"Reece?" She hesitated, grip around the knife relaxing and tensing as she stared from one of us to the other, "Where is he? How do I know if you're lying?"

"We're not lying." I wasn't sure how we'd convince her. Call Reece? 

"Listen, bitch, I've heard all kinds of bullshit to get me to do what they want. A naked chick claiming to know Reece won't stop me from fighting. You get Reece here to tell me himself or you back off." The knife flashed in the light as he hand clenched around it. Hard.

Clayton moved into the truck then, now in his human form again, rubbing his head as he took in the woman. He frowned. "We don't have time for this. Leave her to freeze."

"We can't do that. I promiced I'd bring her back."

"Promiced who?" She was not relaxing one bit. IN fact, the sight of Clayton seemed to make her even more ready to attack.

"Your brother. Look, come on, we'll call Reece when we get to the car."

"Not happening. I told you, he tells me or no one tells me."

"Anne..."

I understood suddenly what Clayton wanted. Dart gun in hand. She understood too, eyes dropping, eyes narrowing. She lunged, I shot, and the two of us grabbed Danielle's arms and pinned her down onto the bottom as she struggled, trying to slash us both, wild with rage and fear. The smell of werewolf rose around us, making Clayon inhale sharply, his eyes narrowing at her. She'd been bitten and survived. How many more?