So, here I am on my way to the man I owe everything, getting the nerve to tell him I’m leaving.

As I get to our place on the hill, with the most beautiful view over the city, I see him sitting in the grass waiting for me. Silently, I walk over to him and sit.

He looks at me, and says with a peaceful voice. “What is bugging you my child, why are we here alone? What happened?”
And with those words, with that voice, I start crying, again. I don’t know what has gotten into me. I never cry, but these past days, I have been crying a lot.

Louis hugs me and waits.

“I’m sorry. I don’t know what has gotten into me.  Well, I do.”  He looks at me with concern. “I found my mate, but he rejected me.”  Blowing out a breath, I keep more tears from falling.  “That’s why I’m here. I have decided to leave the pack, and to go to college far away. I’m leaving tomorrow. I haven’t told many people I’m leaving, only Maggie and Nate, and now you.  They will be able to pass on messages, but they don’t know where I’m going,” I say as fast as I can to get it over with.

“I understand and support you. I really do. But are you sure about this? Have you told the Alpha yet?”

“And I will tell the alpha, when I’m at the end of our territory tomorrow through the link. I don’t want to go over there,” I said looking down on my hands.

He nods.  “I will not tell anyone if you don’t want me to. But who is this idiot that says he doesn’t want you?” He asks looking really mad at the last part.

I have never seen him mad. He is always so sweet, and kind, but I can see he can be really scary as well, when he is mad.

“I can’t tell you who it is.”

I heard a gasp from him. “It’s my stupid grandson isn’t it? I’m going to give him a lesson he won’t soon forget.” He growls as he stood and started walking down the hill. I run after him and take his arm.

“Please don’t. He ordered me to not tell anyone, and I already told two people. If you want to help me, you will make sure that he doesn’t find me, and protect Maggie and Nate while I’m gone. Will you please do that for me?” I ask him with pleading eyes.

He looks at me with wide eyes, and a shocked face. “He ordered you to not tell anyone with his Alpha voice, and you could still tell them?” He asks sounding like he didn’t believe me.

Fuck. I shouldn’t have said that. Only really strong wolfs or other alphas are able to not follow an alphas order. “I don’t know why I was able to do that. It is probably because I’m his mate. But, could you please help me by looking after my friends?” I ask biting down my lip hoping he says yes.

“Of course I will sweetheart. I’m really sorry to see you leave, but if it helps you then it is what has to happen,” he says looking me over. 

We talk for a while.   I promise him that if he helps keeps it a secret, I would send him a message once a month through Maggie and Nate, and I assure him they would let him read what I have written to them. He asks me to come with him, and we walk to his home.

He sits me down in his office, and goes over to his desk. Opened the first drawer, he rifles around before he walks to me.   He sits down beside me with a small box in his hand.

“This,” he says, and points at the box in his hand. “is the only thing that you had from your mom. Dana was given this when she adopted you, and she gave it to me to hold.  I was going to give it to you on your 21th birthday, when you were fully-grown, but I think now is the right time.”

I open it and gasped. It is a beautiful heart shaped necklace made of white gold engraved with two roses; one in front and one on the back. The chain itself is two stems with thorns, and in the end of the stem lays the clasp. I opened the clasp and put it around my neck, securing it in place. 

“I have only heard about this necklace before, never seeing one until I met you. When you transform into a wolf, this will not break, but get larger so it will still be around your neck. Keep the magic a secret from people, and never take it off.” He says, and gives me the box.

I got up and hugged Louis. I didn’t know what to say. Why wasn’t this shown to me before? Why didn’t I know? I had something from my family, when I went from home to home? I hugged him, again.

 But before I walked home, I say goodbye to his wife Lily and him.  He lets me leave with his favourite saying, touching my heart.

“Everybody wants happiness
. Nobody wants pain. 
But you can’t have a rainbow without a little rain”

It didn’t take long for Maggie, Nate and me to pack all my things.  The tension between us was heavy all day, with Maggie looking sad all the time, and Nate was just quiet.  I hadn’t told anyone I was going, only Maggie and Nate.

Online, I sent a request to withdraw from the university, and an email to my advisor that I would no longer be attending college.

On Monday night Maggie and Nate will take a letter to Dana, telling her I’ve gone.