Chapter 63: Generous Vivi

Start from the beginning

Right... Blobby could cure me with his water magic...

She tried to reach the icon of the DiVe on the user interface, but her hands were too heavy; she couldn't even lift them now. She gave up on that hopeless struggle and commanded the DiVe in her head.

Dimension Vessel... open... activate... something...

Nothing showed up. No matter how must she called out for it, the DiVe didn't appear. It was her first time using the DiVe through her mind, but she had enough experience with virtual reality by now. She should had been able to bring it up.

Is it because of my dying state...? Hah, it's all useless... I'm done for after all...

Erika sighed deeply. She couldn't rest. She couldn't open the DiVe. No matter what she tried - the game blocked all her options. The system itself urged her to give up and die.

"Sorry, Vivi.... it's no good... I can't call him out..."

"Like, how useless can that idiot blob be!?"

Vivi raged about the report. She gritted her teeth and furiously kicked in midair. Though foul-mouthed and cheeky, she was sincerely concerned about Erika's well-being in her own way. This emotional reaction caught Erika by a surprise.

"My... Vivi is so worried about me...?"

"Hmph! Like, the generous Vivi can't let her servant die like that! You hear me!? The great Vivi didn't give you the order to die, so you can't die!"

Vivi insisted with puffed cheeks. It might had been nothing more than Erika's convenient imagination, but Vivi's eyes seemed a bit... teary. This side of Vivi was something Erika had never seen until now.

Thinking back on it, Vivi had been gradually changing as of late. The changes were minute and difficult to notice, but they were definitely there. Along their adventure together, Vivi became more friendly and more cooperative.

The pompous pixie started off as a rebellious brat. She hated Erika's guts and never bothered to help out. However, right now, that same pixie was sincerely worried about Erika's condition and wanted Erika to live on. It was a short adventure, but the two of them came a long way together.

"... eh?"

Something tapped on Erika's cheek. She was sprinkled with warm water from above. It felt like being hit by weak rain drops, but that wasn't the case.

"Vivi...?"

The source of the warm water was none other than the cheeky little pixie. Vivi stretched her thin arms above Erika's head and squeezed out water drops from her tiny palms.

"Hmph. Be grateful that the generous Vivi took pity on an idiot like you."

Vivi averted her face as she continued to spray water. There was a mixture of embarrassment and struggle in her expression.. She seemed to resent the very water she poured out of her hands.

So, she can use both offensive and defensive water magic. It's amazing. I don't understand why she hates it so much...

Erika closed her eyes and let her body be bathed in warmth. Energy spread through her numb limbs and she gradually regained the ability to move them. It felt like waking up from a long coma.

"Thank you, Vivi."

Erika stood up, now completely restored.

"H-hmph... you should praise the generous Vivi more for bringing salvation to... a pitiful idiot like you..."

Vivi spoke meekly and her words were scattered. Using water magic took its toll her small body.

"Thank you so very much, o generous Vivi~ Huhu~"

Erika giggled and hugged the exhausted pixie.

"W-wha!? Like, let go, you idiot!"

Only Vivi's mouth had the energy to fight back. The rest of her body was limp from fatigue. Thus, Erika happily snuggled the defenseless pixie.

Of course, this heartwarming scene could end in only one possible way: with Vivi getting fed up with the whole snuggling business and blasting Erika in the face. However, even that blast felt a softer than usual. It only pushed Erika away, without knocking her down.

"Like, let's go already!"

Vivi flapped her glittering wings and dashed forward. Erika hurried along.

"Say, Vivi. Why do you hate water so much? You're so good with it too."

"Hmph. Like, water is the worst magic ever and it shouldn't even exist."

Vivi crossed her arms and refused to speak any further. She clearly had some bad experience with water magic, or maybe with water as a whole. Erika couldn't imagine what exactly happened, but she guessed it might had been related to water monsters.

They pressed onward along the unpaved road. Now, the Windflora King was truly behind them. Even that notorious villain couldn't reach all the way out here with its tornados. They both made it through. Alive.

Finally, Zelin City was within reach.