Chapter 34: Elven Support

The black flower rustled and aimed it razor petals at Erika. From her experience with the Windfloras, Erika could tell that an attack was incoming.

W-why is this happening!?

Erika's mind raced and she couldn't collect her thoughts. She reached toward her knife in a daze, but the mysterious foe was faster.

"W-wah!"

Black daggers were fired from the dark flower's petals. Erika's lowered Combat Aid wasn't as sharp as before...!

"G-gah!!"

The black blades grazed her arms, legs and torso. She was definitely cut all over, but no blood poured out. Instead, the blades vanished into thin air, and black ink marks formed around the injured areas.

"H-huh...? M-my body..."

Erika couldn't feel the blackened areas of her body. Numbness was spreading throughout her muscles and draining her energy.

I-I need to get closer and slash it...!

Erika pushed her paralyzed arm to draw the Silver Knife. She took a few stiff steps forward, closing onto the mysterious flower.

Erika already became an expert at wiping out flowers, she knew that they didn't fare well in close quarters. However, her expertise with Windfloras betrayed her here.

"G-gah!?"

A black fist rammed into her chest and sent her pummeling into the ground. Unlike the Windflora, this black flower had ghastly arms stretching from it stem; it could fight at close range too!

"Curses..."

Erika staggered to stand up. Between the paralysis and the blunt injuries, her petite body was about to break apart.

Am I going to die again...? Haa...

Her fighting spirit was sucked out of her when she noticed the sharp petals on the flower's head. The stack of black knives was completely refilled and stood ready to fire.

"This is so unfair..."

The black daggers pierced through the air. There was no chance to dodge, no chance to block. Erika closed her eyes and mentally prepared to be stabbed to death.

... but the attack didn't reach her.

"... eh?"

A fierce gust blew above her. When Erika opened her eyes, the black daggers flew in random directions and scattered across the field.

What...? Vivi...?!

Erika raised her head to check out her savior. A powerful blast like this was something the little pixie could easily pull off.

"Do you happen to be alright?"

The young woman behind Erika was not a pixie. Her golden hair, sky blue eyes and pointy ears identified her as an elf.

"Ah... yeah, I do happen to be alright..."

Erika replied in a daze, unable to wrap her head around the situation.

【Alicia】

Based on the single name tag over the elf's head, it was safe to assume this woman was an NPC.

Is this part of a scripted event...?

First, the evil flower popped into existence out of thin air. Next, a random elf rescued her. These were both bizarre events for a safe area.

"Eh...?"

Erika noticed a glittering puddle of water hanging in midair. The elf, Alicia, generated water from her fair palm... right above Erika's body.