Chapter 18: Out of the Temple

"Pipipii!"

Vivi voiced some complaints upon reuniting with Erika. It must have been something along the lines of:

"Like, how long you gonna make me wait, you brainless idiot?"

But, Erika couldn't decrypt it without [Communication]. She opened【Status】and planned to active her rune.

"Hey, Titan!"

Mina shouted into Erika's brain.

"Why the heck ya keep using the dumb menu? Them runes can be used without all that shit."

"I see, you're right."

According to in-game tips, it was possible to activate runes with the power of thoughts. Erika hasn't tried that yet. Last time, she activated the rune in a hurry, for she was afraid of missing important dialogue.

As an MMORPG player, Erika was used to activate skills with mouse clicks or with keyboard shortcuts. Most modern games also incorporated voice commands. However, activating abilities with her "mind" was a novel and bizarre idea.

"Say, Mini. How do you go about activating the runes? Do you imagine anything specific?"

"Me? I just give 'em cool names. Like 'Overdrive' for [Power] and 'Flash Step' for [Speed]."

"Hm, I see..."

Erika collected her thoughts and focused on the rune in her forehead. Making up "cool" names was too childish for her. Instead, she chanted a voice command in her head.

Communication: ON.

The muscles on her forehand tightened for a moment. A blue sigil appeared on her forehead. All these signs confirmed that the activation was successful.

"Sorry for making you wait, Vivi~"

"You better be! Like, my beautiful wings gathered a lot of dust, thanks to you being such a slowpoke idiot."

Vivi moved her tiny palm along her glittering wings, as if dusting them off. Erika and Vivi, accompanied by the invisible Mina, left the temple.

In order to avoid another case of dizziness, Erika made sure to turn off [Communication] when Vivi wasn't speaking. Erika intended to make efficient use of the rune, and only boot it up when it was necessary.

Communication: OFF.

The pressure in her forehead obediently dispersed. Erika didn't use the rune for long this time around, but she nevertheless felt a sense of relief when the rune shut down. It was as if an external force stopped sapping her energy.

After she walked down the temple's stairs, Erika noticed a big stone. The stone emitted a purple aura and looked important. Erika examined the stone and a tip appeared to satisfy her curiosity.

【TIP】【Warp Stones allow God Vessels to instantly teleport from one Warp Stone to another. This only applies to Warp Stones which the God Vessel previously activated.】

【TIP】【You may set a Warp Stone as a respawn spot for the next time you revive, or for your next login into the game. When you arrive in a new area, make sure to seek the Warp Stone and to touch it.】

Erika pressed her palm against the stone and a menu screen popped up. Currently, she only had【Water Temple】registered as an available destination for teleportation. Erika didn't have any use for the Warp Stone right now, but it was an important detail to keep in mind.

After all, much to her disdain, she'd probably return to the Water Temple sometime in the distant future, to complete Minerva's dragon-taming quest. Erika turned her back to the Warp Stone, and approached the unpaved road which extended from the temple.