Chapter 34 "Goodbye, Sammy!"

When Shaylynn pulls up at Rainbow Meadows Daycare Center, she sees Sam with her gun drawn, pointing at a man holding two young children hostage.
Shaylynn hurries out of her car, gun drawn, to act as Sam's back up. Sam yells at the guy and calls him Martin. Finally, Shaylynn is coming face to face with Martin Hicks.
Squad pulls up joining Truck and Engine to help with the fire.
"Let the kids go!" Sam yells at him.
"When I get what I want, I will!" Martin yells at her.
"What are you wanting?" Shaylynn asks him.
"I want my record wiped clean! Not even a parking ticket!" he shouts.
"That isn't going to happen!" Sam yells at him.
Hicks then pulls out a gun, "Put the gun down, Martin!" Sam shouts to him.
"NO! NOT UNTIL I GET WHAT I WANT!" he yells back at her.
Enough is enough! Sam pulls her trigger, shooting Martin in the shoulder. He looses his grip on the kids and they run from him. In pain, Hicks drops his gun so he can cover the wound with his hand. He tries to make a break for it.
"KELLY!" Shaylynn yells out.
Severide turns around to see Hicks running away. He takes chase, tackling him to the ground.
Sam and Shaylynn catch up with Severide, "Impressive!" Sam says to Severide as she pulls her handcuffs out.
Shaylynn pulls Hicks up to his feet so Sam can put her handcuffs on him. Sam grabs onto Hicks arm and leads him over to her car.
"Are you okay?" Shaylynn asks Severide.
"I'm fine! Nothing to worry about" he tells her with a smile.
"Alright. I'm going with Sam to the District. Would you drive my car back to the Firehouse, please" she asks Severide.
He gets a big smile on his face. She smiles back at him.
"Keys are still in the ignition" Shaylynn tells him, then kisses him goodbye.
She starts walking over to Sam's car and gets in the back with Hicks so he doesn't get any ideas.

Once they reach District 21, they escort Hicks straight to an interrogation room. Hank is surprised to see Shaylynn's back.
After about five minutes of interrogating Hicks, there's a knock at the door. Hank opens it to see Antonio standing there. He looks back in at his daughters, nodding to them to come out with him. They walk out into the hall.
"You have to cut Hicks loose!" Antonio tells them.
"You're kidding?!" Sam says back to Antonio.
"I wish I was, but I'm not!" Antonio says back to her.
Hank and Shaylynn look at each other, shaking their heads.
Sam opens the door to the interrogation room, "Get out! You're free to go!" she tells Hicks.
He stands up and smiles at her, "Goodbye, Sammy!" he says as he walks toward the door.
Once at the door, Hicks is met by Hank and Shaylynn who take ahold of an arm and lead him down and out of the District.
While outside Hank has some time to talk to Shaylynn.
"When did you get back to Chicago?" he asks her.
"Last night. I finally heard about Sam, told Rob to call Peter and get the jet ready" she tells Hank.
"I bet Butch is furious!" Hanks says to her.
"He probably is, but he'll get over it! He needs to remember it's just not the five of us anymore. Butch is so use to him and the other guys being the main men in my life, that a lot of times the blinders go on and he wants to take care of me, forgetting I have a husband now" she says to Hank.
"Are you going to return?" Hank asks her.
"No! I've already talked to Dr. Charles and he's going to start seeing me. Plus I need to stay here for Sam. She really has me worried!" Shaylynn tells Hank.
"Why is she worrying you for?" he asks.
"The girl hasn't been refilling her prescription! If she hasn't been refilling it, she hasn't been taking her medicine!" Shaylynn looks at Hank, "Dad, she's going to go downhill again!"
They enter his office and sit down. Lindsay comes to the door and knocks on the side.
"Have you two seen Sam?" she asks them.
"Last time we saw her, she was in the hallway with Antonio" Hank tells her, "Why?"
"She went to the bathroom, was in there for some time or at least I thought she was. When I opened the door to check on her, she wasn't in there. I found this in the trashcan" Lindsay says handing Shaylynn a bottle.
Shaylynn looks at the bottle Lindsay hands her, "DAMN IT! I told you!" she tells Hank while tossing him the bottle with one hand, while taking her cell phone out of her pocket with the other.
"Chrysti, can you trace Sam's phone for me?"
Shaylynn hangs up, "Sam's at the cemetery!" she tells Hank and Lindsay.
Hank and Shaylynn stand up and start walking toward the door. Lindsay moves to the side to let them walk pass her. She follows behind them and waves to Halstead to join them. He stands up and follows everyone down the stairs and out to the parking lot.

Once they reach the cemetery, they split up. Hank and Shaylynn going one way, while Lindsay and Halstead heading in another direction.
Shaylynn walks past a lot of Veterans graves and at one point has to stop and catch her breath.
Hank stops when he notices Shaylynn is no longer walking along side him. He looks back and sees Shaylynn just standing there.
"Are you alright?" he asks while he walks up to her.
"Yes, just give me a second" she tells him.
Hank looks down at the name on the headstone Shaylynn is standing in front of......

Marshall Dalton

Shaylynn's deceased husband.
"I can go and continue looking for Sam" Hank tells Shaylynn.
She wipes the tears from her eyes, "No, I'm coming!" she tells him as she kisses two of her fingers and touches them to the top of Marshall's headstone.
After a while, they all meet back where they started. It just so happens they all look in the same direction and see Sam sitting in front of a headstone. All of the them start walking toward her.
When they reach her, they see she has been crying for a while with her eyes being bloodshot and her checks shiney from the tears.
Shaylynn looks at the name on the headstone...

Justin Voight

Hank walks up a little closer to her, "Sam..." he says.
Shaylynn touches him on the shoulder, he backs up. She crouches down beside Sam.
"Sam, why haven't you been taking your medicine?" Shaylynn asks her.
"Because I don't need too!" Sam tells her.
Shaylynn gets a pissed off look on her face, "You most certainly do need to take your medicine!"
Just then Sam passes out, Shaylynn catching her just in time before she hits the ground.
Shaylynn notices blood on the bottom of Sam's sleeves and rolls them up to see there are cuts on her wrists.
"Sam needs to get to Med, NOW!" she shouts to Hank and the others.
Sam wakes up and starts fighting Shaylynn, "NO! I'm not going!"
Shaylynn holds on to her sister tight, "Oh yes you are!"
"Sam! Please stop! Do you really think Justin would want you to do this to yourself?!" Hank asks her.
Instantly, Sam stops fighting Shaylynn. Hank grabs onto Sam and gives her a hug. He then leads her over to the car with Shaylynn, Lindsay, and Halstead following.

They reach Med, Halstead goes and gets a wheelchair for Sam. Hank pushes Sam into Med with the others following behind.
Sam is wheeled into Cell 5, with Hank following right behind her. Shaylynn follows, but stands outside of the Cell. Lindsay and Halstead decide to just wait out in the ED waiting room.
Shaylynn looks around and sees Dr. Charles walking with Dr. Reese. She walks away from the Cell and up to them.
"Well, hello Shaylynn! It's nice to see you again! Have you even bothered to leave the hospital?" he asks her with a smile.
Shaylynn smiles back, "Yes, I did leave, but have returned with my sister" she tells him.
"I didn't realize you had a sister?" Dr. Charles says to her with Dr. Reese listening.
Shaylynn does a little eye roll, "She's actually my half sister" she tells them, "Anyways, I was wondering if you could talk to her for me?" she asks.
"Sure! Where is she?" Dr. Charles asks.
"She's in Cell 5" Shaylynn tells him.
"Okay. I'll head that way right now" he tells her.
"Thank you!" Shaylynn tells him.
Shaylynn watches as Dr. Charles walks into Cell 5 as she walks out the doors to the waiting room and keeps walking to get outside.
Lindsay and Halstead watch Shaylynn walk out.
Once outside, Shaylynn yells. Everyone stops and looks at her.
She looks around at the people looking at her, "WHAT?!"
They stop staring and go about what they were doing. She walks over to a bench and sits down, putting her head down and covering her face with her hands.
"May I sit down?" she hears a familiar voice ask.
Shaylynn looks up and sees Dr. Rhodes standing in front of her, "I guess so" she tells him.
He sits down beside her, "What's wrong?" he asks.
"It's Sam! She stopped taking her meds and cut her wrists. Why is it I can protect everyone else, but I can't protect my siblings?" she says to Dr. Rhodes and starts to cry.
He puts his arm around her and pushes her head onto his shoulder.
Across the way, someone is taking pictures of Shaylynn and Dr. Rhodes sitting on the bench. 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*