Chapter 12 "BAGHDAD!"

Brett and Dawson rush Shaylynn into the ED with Severide following them.
"Maggie!" Dawson yells out.
"Baghdad!" Maggie tells Dawson.
They take Shaylynn over to Baghdad, it's all hands on deck.
Dr. Halstead, Clarke, April and numerous other nurses are in there.
The news about Shaylynn made it to Dr. Rhodes. He rushes down to the ED.
All of them get to work on Shaylynn.
Dr. Halstead & Dr. Rhodes are barking out orders to the nurses.
Clarke has been ordered to keep Severide back and out of the way.

The Fire Crews and the Intelligence Crew show up at the hospital.
Maggie cuts them off before they enter the ED, "You'll have to wait out here!" she instructs them.
She looks at Hank, "You can come in, but you have to stay out of the room!"
Hank nods at her.
He walks into the ED with Maggie. She walks over to Baghdad with him.
Hank looks in and sees the doctors and nurses rushing around.
Machine after machine is hooked up to Shaylynn.
The heart monitor alarm goes off. Hank hears Dr. Rhodes yell for everyone to move, he sees Dr. Rhodes put the paddles on Shaylynn, he yells "CLEAR!" and everyone backs away, then Shaylynn's body jumps.
Hank feels like this is a nightmare and hopes he wakes up soon.
The line on the heart monitor stays flat.
Dr. Halstead starts chest compressions while the machine charges back up.
It's charged.
Dr. Rhodes puts the paddles back on Shaylynn and yells "CLEAR!"
Everyone backs up, Shaylynn's body jumps once again.
The line stays flat.
Dr. Rhodes starts chest compressions.
"Connor! Connor! CONNOR! You're going to have to call it!" Dr. Halstead says to Dr. Rhodes.
Dr. Rhodes looks up and just stares at Dr. Halstead while he continues to do chest compressions
"SHAYLYNN! NO!" Severide starts yelling trying to blow past Clarke to get to her.
Hank realizes this isn't a nightmare and comes back to reality.
He hears Severide yelling and looks at his face. Hank sees Severide trying to get pass Clarke with a terrified look and tears streaming down his face.
Hank blows pass April, but is stopped by Dr. Halstead before he can get to Shaylynn.
Maggie runs to the waiting room "CHIEF! CASEY! ATWATER! HALSTEAD! WE NEED HELP!"
They all run into the ED, straight to Baghdad.
Atwater & Halstead grab Hank and pull him out.
Boden and Casey along with Clarke get Severide back.
All of them get Hank and Severide back and walk with them to the ED waiting room.
Once in the waiting room, Lindsay and Dawson see the looks on Hank's and Severide's faces.
They both rush up to them and start hugging the guys.
Severide is crying uncontrollably on Dawson's shoulder, while Hank does the same on Lindsay's.
All the other guys have glassy eyes.
Watching these two men who are always strong and seem to always have their wits about them, to see them so vulnerable is heartbreaking.

Back in Baghdad, Dr. Halstead gets Dr. Rhodes to stop chest compressions.
"Connor, as much as you don't want to, you have to call it!" Dr. Halstead tells him.
Dr. Rhodes looks at Dr. Halstead with tears on his cheeks.
"Connor, you were to close to this! You should have stayed upstairs!" Dr. Halstead says.
"I know, but I couldn't stay upstairs knowing she was down here and what she had been through!" Dr. Rhodes tells him.
"Connor..." Dr. Halstead says to Dr. Rhodes to try and get him to declare time of death.
"I know! I know!" Dr. Rhodes says back to him.
"Okay, time of death...." Dr. Rhodes starts saying.
The heart monitor let's out a beep. A line shoots up on the screen.
Dr. Rhodes and Dr. Halstead look at each other.
The heart monitor let's out another beep, with another line shooting up on the screen.
The beeps continue to come more and more with more lines shooting up onto the screen.
Dr. Halstead & Dr. Rhodes are in shock!
Dr. Rhodes runs out of the room, to the ED waiting room, "KELLY! HANK! YOU NEED TO COME WITH ME! NOW!"
Severide and Hank follow Dr. Rhodes into the ED over to Baghdad.
With them being so upset, the Fire Crews and the Intelligence Crew follows them into the ED for support.
The closer they get to Baghdad they can start to hear a machine.
Both Severide and Hank look in to see the heart monitor is the machine making noise.
They both look at Dr. Rhodes "She's alive!" he tells them with a smile and glassy eyes.
Hank and Severide run in, both right up to her.
Severide lays his head on top of her's and starts crying again.
Hank grabs one of her hands.
Everyone in the crews start cheering with happy tears running down their faces.