Chapter 38 "How Could You"

Hank pulls up in front of District 21. He, Lindsay and Severide get out of the car and head inside. Once upstairs, Hank leads Severide back to the interrogation rooms.
"I'm sorry, Kelly, but you need to go sit in there" Hank tells him while opening the door to the room, "I'll need your wallet, cell phone and belt."
Severide hands the items that Hank requests over to him, then walks in and sits down.
Hank closes the door. He walks out and hands Burgess Severide's stuff.
"Go through his cell phone and see if there's any connection" Hank tells her.
He looks down and shakes his head.
"I'm sorry this is happening!" Burgess tells Hank.
"We'll do everything we can" Alvin tells him.
Hank walks to his office, closes the door and sits down at his desk. He takes out his cell phone and calls Shaylynn.
"Severide"
"Shaylynn, you need to hurry and come to the District. Kelly's been arrested" he tells her.
"WHAT THE HELL HAS HE BEEN ARRESTED FOR?!" Shaylynn shouts into the phone.
"Just hurry and get here! I don't want to talk about it over the phone" he tells her.
Hank can tell that she's in her car. After he told her to hurry and get here, he could hear her Camaro's engine roar more to life.
"I'm on my way! You make sure Kelly stays at the District and NO ONE tries to take him anywhere!" she tells Hank and hangs up.
Five minutes after getting off the phone with Shaylynn, Burgess knocks on Hanks door, he waves her in.
"Yeah" Hank says to her.
Burgess looks down at the floor, "Burgess, what is it?" he asks her.
"I went through Kelly's phone and found the connection"
Hank shakes his head and does a deep sigh. He stands up from his desk, walks around toward Burgess, takes the file folder and Severide's phone from her. He walks out of his office and motions to Lindsay to follow him back to the interrogation room.

Hank and Lindsay walk into the interrogation room and sit down.
"Can you now tell me why I'm here?!" he says to Hank.
Hank pulls out a picture, "Do you recognize this woman?" he asks.
"Yes, that's the nurse that was in Molly's hospital room when I visited" Severide tells Hank.
"Kelly, how much did you have to drink at Molly's?" Lindsay asks him.
"I only had one drink. Why? What's going on?" Severide asks.
Hank pulls out another picture and shows it to Severide, "This is why you're here!" he says.
In the picture is Anna laying on the ground, by a dumpster, beat to death, with a tire iron beside her covered in blood.
Severide can't believe what he's seeing.
"Her body was found two blocks from Molly's along with her car" Lindsay tells Severide.
"Kelly, eyewitnesses at Molly's say you and her left together" Hank tells him.
"Yes. She said she wanted to leave, but she had a flat tire and asked me if I could help her with it, so I went outside with her to change tires. I got the tire iron out of the trunk and started taking the old tire off" he tells Hank.
That's when Severide realizes he can't remember anything that happened after that.
"Kelly, the tire iron that was used to beat her to death has your fingerprints all over it!" Lindsay tells him.
Severide looks at Lindsay.....

Then he looks at Hank.....

"I didn't do this! I wouldn't kill anyone!" Severide expresses

"What are we suppose to think, Kelly? You left Molly's with her and you just admitted you did. You were the last person seen with her. Did she even have a flat tire?" Hank asks him.
"It was flat, but it might have just needed air. I don't know. I didn't pay close attention because it was dark" Severide tells Hank.
"How did you get the cut on your head?" Hank asks Severide.
Severide touches his head and feels the cut, "I'm not sure!" he says.
"Kelly, this is serious! You need to tell us everything you know!" Lindsay tells him.
"Who does the apartment belong to?" Hank asks him.
"It belongs to a friend" Severide says.
"Why were you there?" Lindsay asks.
"I don't know! I can't remember how I got there!" Severide tells her.
"Kelly, you need to tell us every little detail you can remember after walking out of Molly's. You're looking at First Degree Murder" Hank tells him.
"I don't have any connection to this woman other then seeing her at Med or at Molly's" Severide tells Hank.
Hank shakes his head. He turns Severide's phone on and lays it in front of him, "Then can you explain this?" Hank asks.
Severide looks at his phone. He sees the text he was sent with the picture of Shaylynn laying her head on Dr. Rhodes shoulder. At the top it says Anna, with her phone number under her name.
"Oh no! When I received that text, the number was listed as UNKNOWN! You can even ask Shaylynn because I showed the text to her!" Severide tells Hank and Lindsay.
Lindsay and Hank look at each other, "Kelly you know what ever Shaylynn says isn't going to matter because she's your wife" Lindsay tells him.
There's a knock at the door. Hank gets up and opens it and sees Kot on the other side.
"We need to talk" Kot tells him.
Hank steps outside, closing the door behind him, "What is it?" he asks Kot.
"Kelly is being moved to Cook County Jail" he tells Hank.
"Why?!" Hank asks.
"Jefferies wants to make sure NOTHING happens to Kelly!" Kot tells him.
Hank gives Kot a look, "What's going to happen to him?" he asks.
"With Shaylynn being his wife, Jefferies is afraid she or any associates of her's might come for Kelly. And by putting him in the Cook County Jail, Jefferies feels that would deter them from trying to get him" Kot tells him.
Hank smiles, shakes his head and let's out a little laugh.
"Shaylynn and her guys did rescue missions in some of the most dangerous places in the world. I don't think Cook County Jail would be a problem for them!" Hanks tells Kot with a huge smile on his face.
"Hey, I'm just doing what Jefferies said to do. Don't shoot the messenger!" Kot tells Hank.
Hank shakes his head again, "When is Kelly being moved?" he asks.
"Jail transport was scheduled for tonight, so Jefferies said to move him along with the rest" Kot says.
Hank opens the door and walks in, "Kelly, would you stand up and put your hands behind your back" Hank tells him.
Severide complies. Hank puts handcuffs on him and escorts him out of the room and down to where Jail transport picks up.

Shaylynn pulls up in front of District 21. She and Sam hurry inside and up to Intelligence.
They both run back to the interrogation rooms, but no one is there.
Quickly walking back out, Shaylynn sees Alvin.
"Where's Hank and Kelly?" she asks him.
"The State Attorney's Office wants Kelly moved to Cook County Jail. Jail transport is here now" Alvin tells her.
Shaylynn turns and starts running down the stairs with Sam hot on her heels.
Once they get down to where the transport picks up, Severide is already on the truck.

"KELLY!" Shaylynn yells running toward the truck trying to get to him, but she's stopped by Atwater

"KEVIN, LET ME GO!" Shaylynn shouts at him while she fights to get out of his grips.
"HOW COULD YOU LET THEM TAKE HIM AWAY?!" Shaylynn yells at Hank.
The transport guard shuts the door on the truck. Shaylynn begins to cry.
Sam walks up to Atwater, "Kevin, let go of her!" she tells him.
Atwater let's go of Shaylynn. Sam grabs her and she starts crying on Sam's shoulder.
"We need to find out what's going on so we can get Kelly back" Sam says into Shaylynn's ear.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*