Chapter 29

He stared out in to the night for a minute, collecting his thoughts.

"I moved here at the end of July last year."

I remember when he told me that when he said he saw that Jackson was missing in the paper.

"One day I was just walking along on the sidewalk, checking out the town. Two men pulled me in to a dark alley. I was beaten unconscious. When I woke up, I had no idea where I was. Bright lights were surrounding me. I was lying on a table, a cold, hard table like in a lab. Everything around me looked like a lab. I turned my head and saw medicine cabinets, scalpels, needles, everything...everything a lab would have. But it was weird..." His voice trailed off and he looked down at his hands in his lap. He then looked back out in to the woods.

"...I wasn't mad or scared that I was there. I felt different. I was different. I saw a tall man walk over to me. All I could remember was him smiling at me and his smile was real nice."

My mind immediately flashed to and image of Nick. This can't be.

"It was Nick. He asked how I was feeling. I said I was ok. At that point I still had no idea who he even was or what was even happening. I found out later that I was basically a lab experiment and I still am."

My eyes widened and my heart pace increased by a thousand times.

"A lab experiment? Wh-what do you mean?" I was afraid of what he was going to tell me. I didn't want to hear freaky things that have been done to him.

"Lily, I'm not human." He turned his head to face me. He stared in to my eyes for a split second then looked down again and furrowed his brow.

"What the hell do you mean you're not human?" Have I been in love with a fake being this whole time? Someone who's not real? I started to question so much.

"He planted something inside of me. Something that-" Harry paused. "Inhabits me."

I couldn't understand what he just told me. Who have I been around this whole time? Someone who isn't real and is just a lab experiment?

"So wait...what do you mean inhabits you? Are you even real?"

Harry laughed.

"I'm honestly...half human right now. I was human back in July." He smiled and looked at me. Why was he thinking this was funny?

"Harry you're half human? How the hell?" My mouth dropped again. I tried to search for answers in my head but let Harry continue on and answer them for me.

"I was implanted with a 'being'. I'm not human because something else has taken over my body. I was cut open in my heart. They put an inhabitant in my heart. That's why I have grey eyes...I'm not me."

It started to make a little sense now. I love his grey eyes. They weren't like normal people's eyes. They're unique, but then again, Harry isn't like everyone else.

"What do you tell people when they ask about your eyes?"

"I tell em it's a birth defect." He looked in to my eyes and smirked.

"So what happens when you're inhabited?"

"I'm pretty smart, I guess?"

"You guess? What's 16,745 divided by 8?" I tried to think of insane number to try and get him to think but he blurted it out so quickly.

"2,093.125!" He immediately spoke.

"That's insane. You really are smart! Maybe you can help me with my pre-calc homework sometime." I smiled and winked at him.