Chapter 6

I hear a faint buzzing and it suddenly gets louder and more annoying. It's my alarm clock. I must have passed out last night after texting Harry back. I checked my phone and he read my message but no reply.

"What a dick." I mumble under my breath and smirk. Then I stop myself. I realize what I'm saying. Why am I reacting this way towards him? I'm smirking at his texts messages and deep down wishing he had replied. I fall too hard for people too fast. I've only seen him once in my life.

I get up and take a shower. I get out and brush my long, brown, wavy hair and put it in a braid. I do my normal routine and go downstairs. My mom isn't here. I find a note on the kitchen table.

My boss called. Had to go in to work early. Love you!

The love you part really made me smile. I haven't heard that in a long time from her. It makes me think of the good old days when we were close to each other.

I realize the time and grab my backpack and keys. I walk out the door and get in my car. The air in Florida is actually cold for once. I have to turn the heat on in my car and the seat warmers. I was getting ready to pull out of the driveway when I get a knock on my car window. I jump and roll down the window. It's my neighbor, Mr. Nick. Well, Nick is his first name-I don't know his last.

"Will you give me a ride to work? My car won't start!" He says. He looks freezing and has a worried tone.

I'm really running late but don't want to be rude.

"Yes! Certainly! Get in."

Nick climbs in the passenger seat.

Nick Bradshaw is probably in his mid twenties. He's a good looking young man I'll admit. He moved in just a few months ago to the house across the street. His smile is perfect and white, which really draws you to him. Sometimes I get this crazy thought of "I should go after him" but then I remember I'm only a senior in high school.

"Where do you work, Nick?"

He didn't say anything for a moment and stared through the windshield.

"Uhm-Nick?"

"OH. Sorry! I work at the warehouse on Gatz Street."

I realized that's a twenty minute drive from where I live and school is only ten minutes. This will make me really late for school but I'll just tell the office that my neighbor's car wouldn't start so I had to take him to work.

Part of the car ride was silent. Nick doesn't seem like a quiet guy. There's always big house parties going on at his house. Maybe his tongue is frozen from the cold?

Words finally spill out of his mouth.

"Im sorry to hear about your brother."

My heart stopped.

"W-what?"

"I'm sorry."

"You don't have to apologize. You didn't do anything wrong. Besides, it's been seven months and no luck of finding him." I wondered why that was the first thing that came out of his mouth...and does he even know about my dad?

He was silent again. I needed to know if he was ok.

"Are you ok Nick? You're really quiet." I know I hadn't ever really talked to him before but wouldn't he be asking me about my life and about me? Not just sitting here quiet.

"Yes! I'm quite alright!" Those were the last words from his mouth for the rest of the ride. The only sound filling the car was the radio.

We finally arrived to the warehouse. It is such a dark, mysterious building. I've never known what goes on in this building. It looked like it had been shut down many times. It needs so much repair. The light grey colored paint on the outside peeling; wooden window panes rotting off.

Nick stepped out of my car and closed the door. I rolled down the window as he began to speak.

"Thank you Ms. Hardwell for giving me a ride. I appreciate it." His perfect smile came in to view. He began to walk away but my curiosity got the best of me.

"Nick! What is your job in this warehouse?"

He stopped dead in his tracks; his back to me. He turned around after he processed what I asked.

"Uhm I just perform some experiments on new medicine we are making that could be sold in stores one day...nothing really."

His tone was mysterious, almost like that wasn't the whole story.

"Oh. Ok. Have a good day." I say. Nick turns around and begins to walk off.

"You too, Ms. Hardwell."