Chapter 45

Feather After // Chapter 45 // Flowers And Ugly Potato

Aria's POV 

"May I, steal my fiancée away now?" I hear Zachariah mummer from behind me.

Ignatius's eyes hardened and I smirked.

"It was a pleasure meeting you," I pulled my hand away from his.

"The pleasure was all mine, ma'am," he said and kissed the back of my hand. I quickly pulled my hand away and took a deep breath, damn you!

"Our moms want to talk to us, they said it's very important," he told me and pulled me towards one corner of the room. What the hell could be the matter now? As we stood at one corner of the room my eyes feel automatically landed on Ignatius, he stood there, with his hands shoved in his pocket. If someone took a protractor to measure his jawline, I was pretty sure it would come out to be exactly 120 degrees.

He was looking at something but soon his eye met mine. He looked at me and raised his eyebrow. He smirked at me and I turned to look the other way. I shook my head while Zachariah went to fetch our mothers. God knows what he was up to this time.

"We have to be seated," Zachariah said and pulled me by my hand to a new hall. There were tables and chairs which were arranged very beautifully all around the place. The room was light pink in color. Red roses adorn the center wall. The whole god damn wall was covered in roses. If some honeybee would have seen that, I bet it would have started doing Harlem Shake. It was beautiful. There was a stage in front of it. It was more of a pedestal, it was beautiful as well. The tables were covered in white cloth and there was golden table cloth on it. The plates were white in color and there was a red handkerchief with white borders. The Royal Society was written on it.

We sat on one of the tables and my mom and Zachariah's mom sat with us. Soon the tables all around us started getting filled with people. Some walked in the room with the hem of their cocktail dresses in one hand while trying to balance the champagne glass in the other one. Some lady carried almost dragged her drunk husband around the place, the seats were assigned to people beforehand I guess.

It was pretty comical, people were dressed not for themselves but for people around them. Nanna used to say, people either pretend to be more than they are or less than they are, but one thing is common in both the people, they hide something so powerful within themselves that they are capable of destroying themselves.

I didn't quite understand the meaning of that until today. People could hide what they were and what they have gone through by the clothing, jewelry and smiles but their eyes always gave it away. It revealed things enough to make one suspicious of the other.

"Good evening, ladies and gentlemen, first of all, I want to congratulate everyone sitting here. We're all here, we may be very different from one another but there is one thing that unites us. We all share a passion of making the society a better place for everyone irrespective of the caste, creed, color and religion of the person," a man in his mid-sixties looked at us and waited, for the applauding to end. Once the clapping died, he continued while he shoved his one hand in his pocket, "Let the meet gala began, as you see the theme is 'the flowers'. We have some beautiful flowers from all around the world. These are very exotic and rarely found. We'll announce the name of the flower and the picture of the flower will be shown on the projector. You'll be walked through the rules of the auction by my gorgeous lady, Sandra."

"Good evening, all the ladies and gentlemen, let me take a moment, and marvel the beauty of each one of you, you all look amazing," she moved her head to the side and smiled, she fanned her hand on her face and made an 'o' face, "without, any further delay these are the rules I want you to know, a man will walk on the stage with the bouquet of flowers. As announced before, the men will walk with the flower and the highest bidder will get the flower carried by that man, you can auction for only one flower. To make everything easier, we'll have the picture of the flower on the projector right in front of you. All the money collected will be given to a charity. Every table has three to four auction cards right on the table. If you need any Assistance we have our men and women dressed in black and red standing right on the left and right. Let the auction began!"