Chapter 38

Feather After // Chapter 38 // Old Friends And New Talks

Thankyou Luna7890 for the cover on the side. It looks amazing!

Aria's POV 

I ran out if there, I felt suffocated and most of all used. Everyone was the same, all they wanted to do was do use you and when you wanted something in return, they ran away, too scared to even say something, thinking that it might hurt them. I wiped my tears and ran out of school, I could not take them anymore, I couldn't take the idea of this. It felt bad and I didn't know what to do. I couldn't breathe and I used my mouth for air. I hoped that Manchurian wasn't around because I didn't want him to see me like this. If he did, he would tell Nanna and then she would pester me till she knew what was going on.

And at some point of time, I didn't want to break Nanna, I was the only family she had. Her daughter had passed away when she was giving birth to her baby, and that sad part was her child was born dead, it was a baby girl and Nanna couldn't do anything. She was growing old day by day. She was not as active as she used to be. She was supposed to only take care of me just like Manchurian was supposed to, but only if my father knew that keeping them around me would stop physical harm but I would be still entitled to emotional pain that they caused me.

Wasn't it ironic, they had kept them to help me and protect me when they were the ones who are hurting me the most?

I sat on one of the benches near the statue of Mr. Maple and I saw Misty approaching me. She wore her black skirt with a white singlet and her hair was tied up in a ponytail. Her cheekbones were visible and to say that she was attractive was an understatement.

She was beautiful and most importantly she was my first friend in Maple High. I was suddenly conscious of my looks and what I looked like, with the natural normal hair and skin, paired with an average body that I didn't fit in the category of being thin or thick. I was somewhere in between and let's just say it wasn't the most attractive thing around here.

Being a teenager with a body that was not considered pretty was a struggle of its own. We had no role models to look up to, being different and confident was a boon, after all, we lived in a society that thrived from self-doubt.

I opened and closed my eyes, again and again, hoping that I didn't have red eyes or nose or ears. As she was approaching me I was trying to make up an excuse as fast as I could, because I didn't want to tell her that I was crying for a guy who had offered me to share him with her.

She looked at me and smiled. "I have not seen you in a while, you know?" She looked at me again and pulled me close to her, "oh god, I have missed seeing you around for a while. I mean it hasn't been so long but it feels like ages."

"Tell me all about it. You tell me, how have you been?" Too overwhelmed by seeing her react to me like that, it was the best performance that I could give. I was so shocked. I expected it to be more of hair pulling, screaming and shouting. You know someone getting hurt, ambulance and police and everything but that never happened.

I was one hundred percent sure that even if Misty didn't know everything, she must have had some idea about what was happening between me and her boyfriend. Two months ago if someone would have told me that I was going to fight for a boy with some girl who was my so-called friend, I would have slapped that person right away.

Look at me now, I guess, love does strange things to people.

"I have been great, you know? Life has been easy and more or less, less complicated," she sat next to me on the bench, "I heard you poured your orange juice can on our so-called bad boy." And kissed him after that and then slapped him.