Chapter 57

I was lying in bed, staring out the window when I heard footsteps come into my room. If it was Braxton trying to come back in, he can leave. I'm not in the mood to argue with him.

"Go away, Braxton."

"Well you're talking, that's a sign. It's me anyway."

I turned my head and saw Aubrey slowly walking over to my bed.

"You can leave too."

"Why?" She asked, taking a seat next to me.

"I just don't want any visitors."

"Not even your best friend since fifth grade? Cassidee, what happened? Did you and Braxton get in a fight or something?"

"No."

"Then what happened?"

"Because I'm horrible looking, that's why!" I cried, pointing to my face.

"No, you're not! You have bumps and bruises, but you shouldn't let them define you."

"Okay and what about my damn head?"

"The surgeons had to clip away some of your hair, so they could access your skull and brain. If they didn't do that you would've died!"

"Yeah, well I wished death would've taken me." I sniffled, folding my arms.

"You don't mean that?"

I kept my focus on the wall in front of me and didn't acknowledge Aubrey's question. If anyone was in my position they would've wished for death.

"I can't believe you just said that. Especially in front of your best fucking friend and imagine how your family would feel if you died? What about your dad, Cassidee? Can you imagine how heartbroken that man would be?"

I bit down on my lip and once again ignored her questions.

"Well I just came over to make sure you were doing better and you certainly are. I'll be seeing you around, Cass."

Aubrey stormed out of the room and walked out the door. I lowered my head and started sobbing to myself as big, fat tears fell off my face. I took the end of my hospital blanket and carefully dabbed it underneath my eyes.

"I-I'm s-sorry."