Chapter 26

•••UPDATED AS OF 5/3/24•••

You sat there, waiting for him to ask you the question he had replaying in his mind. You were nervous to see what kind of question it was, it only made you feel so nervous because he was unpredictable so you could never tell what is on his mind and what he will end up doing or saying.

"Why?" He started off, speaking softly yet quietly, his eyes staring into yours as you looked at him confused at his question.

"Why what?" You waited him to speak up again, racking your brain on what he could be talking about and what he could say next.

"Why do you like me so much?" Joker hesitated before asking that particular question, he wasn't too sure how you would react and he also didn't want to seem so quiet and vulnerable.

"I've done so much to you and yet you stay. So, why do you?"

You frowned for a moment, sitting there thinking as he waited quite impatiently for you to answer. He was assuming that the longer you were quiet, the more time you are trying to use to come up with a lie to make him feel better about the situation,

"We had a tough year but I don't know, I've seen this soft side of you that has been so," You started to speak, trying to find the right words to say.

"Great? I don't know if that would be a good word to describe it but yeah, seeing that side is great especially since you've only shown that side to me." You continued to speak, his eyes staying on yours as he took in the moment you two were sharing in this old ugly motel room.

"I know that I can be frustrating but I always appreciate you still treating me good. I like you because we can both be this soft vulnerable side together." You finished your rambling, soon shutting your mouth as you started to regret all that you said.

You couldn't help but feel like you said too much, would he be annoyed by hearing all that or would it make him even more soft than he was before? You couldn't tell as you both stared at each other, your cheeks turning a shade of red and as you both sat across from each other, you glanced down at his hand that had grabbed onto yours, letting your fingers play with his gold rings.

"I don't really understand why but.. I'll learn to." He chuckled lightly, groaning at his wound as he forced himself to sit up straight, leaning towards you until a loud knock was heard at the door of the room.

You stood up before he could, stepping over and opening it up to one of his men. The guy mumbled a few words to you, mentioning how it was safe to go and how the both of you should head back to Gotham to his place where the both of you could be safe and help Joker heal from the wound he had gotten.

You turn to look at Joker, him already staring as if he was waiting for either one of you to speak up about what all the fuss was about.

"Are we ready to go?" Joker asked, him slowly rising from the chair he was sitting in and you nodded your hand as you grabbed some of your things you had brought inside the room.

When the both of you went out to the black SUV, sitting in the backseat as the man started to drive back to Gotham, you grew rather tired at the long day you had and even the longer night you had last night. You couldn't help your wondering thoughts as you stared out the window as the objects went by.

You were terrified at the way you felt towards Joker and it scared you more that the both of you sort of talked about it. It was a terrifying concept to sit there and talk to him about your feelings, watching him listen to you say that you like him, that you enjoy seeing this specific side of him, one that is protective and vulnerable to you.