Letting Go

"Justin, I'm sorry." You breathed out as tears rolled down your face. "It's just not happening, we both know it. Why should we keep kidding yourselves?"

"This can't be it." Justin shook slightly as he sat on the couch, his own tears falling freely. "[Y/N], I love you." He looked up at you, his tear stained cheeks glistening in the light.

"I love you, too." You sniffled, a hand coming over your mouth as you felt another round of tears coming.

"Then I-I don't understand. We can make it work. Please." He almost pleaded as he whimpered, dropping to his knees in front of you.

"I can't, it's too hard. Our lives don't work together, Justin. We should just accept that and move on." You stared ahead, not having the courage to look down at him as he held your leg.

"But it's you, [Y/N]. I told you this at the start, it's always been you and it always will be. It's me and you, together." He stood up in front of you, running his hand up and down your arm as he sobbed uncontrollably.

It'd been building up for months now. You knew it wasn't going to work when you felt like you didn't even have a boyfriend anymore, you were always working when Justin's wasn't and vice versa. You didn't have time for each other or a relationship, you both knew it.

"This isn't working, Jay. Please, please don't make this harder than it already is." Your chest moved up and down rapidly, looking away from his stare.
"I-I can't do it, not without you. I can't imagine not waking up to you in the morning ever again, I've had to deal with it the last few months, and it killed me. I need you, please." He let his tears fall, not showing any signs of caring about them. "We can make this work, we have to."

Sighing deeply, you sat down on the couch and rested your head on the back of the couch, staring up at the ceiling.

"What is it? Did I not treat you well? Didn't I love you good enough? I know there's some little things I forget to do, but it's always you I'm thinking of, it's all for you." He sniffed as he tugged on his hair as he stood behind you.

"You treated me better than anyone I've ever known, but our lives, they're not compatible at all, Justin. Can't you see it?" You cried as you turned to look at him. "I want this to work so much, but right now, we just need a break."

"I don't wanna take a break, I want to make it work. I want to make you happy like I used to, I want to give you everything like I used to, I want to have time like I used to." He sighed, wiped his face and taking a seat back where he was previously.

"It'll be good for us, Justin. We'll see what happens and how we feel in a few months." You tried to make it seem like a good thing when in reality, it was breaking your heart.

"I know how I'm going to feel in a few months; I'm still going to want you, and need you." He moved forward to the edge of his seat, shaking his head. "I don't understand why you're doing this." His jaw clenched as he stared at his hand.

"It's what's best for the both of us." You spoke quietly, tiredness taking over your body.

"Is it fuck!" He burst out, out of nowhere, making you flinch. "I don't know why you're doing this, [Y/N]. But whatever it is, I hope it's worth it because it's fucking hurting me." He stood up, staring at you as his eyes watered, his expression hard as he kept eye contact.

"I-I don't want to hurt you." You shook, your breath uneasy as more tears threatened to fall as you watched him.
"That's the last thing I want."

"I need a drink." He grumbled, wiping his eyes as he stormed into the kitchen.

Your head fell to your hands as you pictured your relationship with Justin six months ago. Everything was perfect and you were happy in each other's presence, you still were, but it was like recently, you both knew what was breaking through.

Justin came back through with a beer bottle in his hand, running a hand through his hair.

"I'm not letting you leave me."

"I can leave if I want to." You spoke weakly.

"Why do you want to leave me? What have I done?" He looked at you, pain the only expression on his face.

"Justin, you've done nothing. I just think it's best for us right now. Our lives and this relationship aren't working together, we don't have the time for each other and you know it."
You sent him a sympathetic look as your heart broke just that little bit more.

You witnessed the grip tightening on his bottle and his nostrils flaring in anger and confusion, but also if you looked closely in his eyes, you could see his heart cracking inch by inch.

"Please just stay." He whispered, he was giving up, his body caving in on him as he lost the energy.

"You're making this so difficult, Justin." You choked on your sobs as you shook.

"I'm making this difficult?! We'd be tucked up in bed and gorging on junk food if I had it my way, you're bringing this on yourself." He stared at you, showing no remorse or sympathy.

"This isn't good for either of us, Justin. We both know it." You cried as you looked at him.

"But it has to work, [Y/N]. It's me and you, it has to end happily." He whimpered.

"We'll see, huh?

Before you knew it, Justin pulled you
into a hug, tighter than he'd ever hugged you through your entire relationship. You heard him sniffle in your ear and his tears soaked through your shirt. You attempted to pull away.

"If this is the last time I'm ever going to hug you, I'm going to appreciate it and make sure you do too." He pulled you impossibly closer, before reluctantly letting you go forever.