Chapter 19

“What?” Matt jumped off of my bed quickly and looked at me with curious, questioning eyes. My face flushed with heat. How could I not have picked up on it before now? He totally had a human aura about him. There was nothing wolf like until right now. “You’re a werewolf.” I said again, but less confident and more reserved this time.

                He walked towards the door, like he was ready to make an escape. “Werewolves don’t exist, Mackenna. They’re made up.” He said raising his voice slightly. I rolled my eyes, a little irritated by how idiotic he was acting. “Don’t even try to hide it Matt, I’m one too. That’s how I know.” His stance relaxed.

                “How?” Matt looked at me intensely. “I’ve been a werewolf for a while, Matt. The real question is how are you one? It runs in my family, but I know your family and I highly doubt any of your relatives are werewolves. What happened?” I said in a stern tone. I was in no mood for playing games. I had stuff to deal with.

                Matt sighed and paced around a little bit. Finally, he spilled it. “It happened a little bit ago. I was walking to my car and I saw this creature in the woods. Similar to the one I was freaking out about with you.” My face turned slightly red with guilt, since the big creature that he was afraid of was me.

“So, to prove I wasn’t just seeing things, I followed it. When it stopped in a clearing, there were a bunch of them. When I approached, they all turned and looked at me. That’s when one attacked me. Luckily, I had a knife on me so I managed to stab it in the heart when he lunged. However, he did manage to claw me up pretty good and bite my leg. I went home covered in animal blood and I got cleaned up before anyone could question me about it. I hid all of my bites and cuts. That night, when I took a bath, I noticed that my bite was becoming infected. It turned a deep red, unappealing color and almost looked like my flesh was being eaten. I couldn’t sleep at all that night. The intense pain shooting through my veins kept me up.”

“In the morning I couldn’t even get out of bed. My body ached. It felt like I had just run a hundred miles, sprinting full speed. I was panting heavily, my body was radiating with heat and I couldn’t control my brain. It was like I was connected to some radio in my head. Millions of thoughts that weren’t even my own spun around in my head. They still are, actually. I got scared. There was no way I was going to tell my family what had happened. They’d send me to the psych-ward! So I just hid it.”

“I knew I needed to talk to someone, though. For some reason, you were the only person who came to my mind Mackenna. You’re strong, you’re brave, and you would understand me more than anyone else would. Plus, I was hoping you would have maybe seen that huge beast in the woods when I came out looking for you that one day.”

Matt was quiet for a few moments, and then he looked back into my eyes. “But now I’m thinking, not only did you probably see the huge beast in the woods. You were the huge beast in the woods, weren’t you?” He said. I looked at the ground, toyed around with my feet, and gave a nod. Matt sighed, sat down on my big, comfy red chair in my room, and grabbed at his hair. He moaned. “I want these voices out of my head. It’s driving me mad.”

I walked over to him, sitting on his lap, facing him. I grabbed his face and looked into his eyes. I really wasn’t trying to be seductive or anything, I just wanted to look into his eyes and try to see what was going on in his head. Wolf-to-wolf you can usually see what’s going through another’s mind, unless you’re the alpha or you’ve controlled and mastered your abilities well.

In his eyes, I saw lust, confusion, irritation, excitement, adrenaline, exhilaration, and lastly love. “I think I know how to clear you’re brain for a little bit. It’s not going to be a final cure, but it will settle your brain until I can take you to my alpha.”

I hated myself for this. I hated myself. It wasn’t right at all to pull this on Matt, but it honestly was the best cure for his head that I could think up right now. My hands traveled up and down his arms gracefully and soothingly. My stomach turned and butterflies exploded.

I flipped my hair to one side and placed my lips right on his neck. They traveled up and down his neck, making him breathe a bit harder. I could sense the goose-bumps ride up his back as I scooted my body in closer to him. I wrapped my legs around his waist and finally moved my lips up to his, massaging them with mine softly. Ever so slightly, my hands made their way to his shirt and I tugged at it, telling him to take it off.

Instead of just slipping it over his head, the werewolf inside stirred and ripped the shirt off in one easy swiped. His body was hot; even for werewolf temperature. He was overheating, which was a good thing right now. His breathing got even heavier as he picked me up and moved us to the bed. We lye next to one another and I continued to work his hormones. For him to be able to focus, he needed to drain his energy. My feet intertwined with his and my fingers ran through his hair. His hands ran up and down my bare back underneath my shirt.

His body moved with mine as he got more and more intense. His hands fumbled around with my bra strap and finally it came undone. When that happened, I could feel my face flush with heat. I couldn’t lose myself in this process or else this won’t help anybody. I tried to keep a steady stream of thoughts roll through my head. You’re helping him, Mackenna, you’re helping him. This doesn’t mean anything. I told myself over and over again through my head. When one strap of my bra got stripped off my shoulder, I couldn’t take it much longer and I had to stop it. This was getting to be too much and I would no longer be able to keep control.

I pulled away from him and jumped back, reattaching my bra strap and readjusting myself. “Okay, Matt, I think that’s enough.” I said. His eyes; flamed a deep red and he looked thirsty. “Do you still have the voices in your head?” I asked. Still crazy-eyed, he shook his head.

“Good, that’s part of being a werewolf. You’re hormones are so much more intense that when you utilize them, you tune out of everything including what I like to call, ‘werewolf-chatter’. Try to control yourself, though. You’re hormones are going to want you to go all out. You need to resist but keep them inflamed.” I order him. This is going to be the dangerous part. When you mess with a werewolf’s emotions, you’re putting yourself at risk.

I could tell Matt was going to struggle with keeping himself under control. He was panting still, but I didn’t have time for this. I needed to get him to Aidan, but I surely couldn’t come within miles of him without him noticing; especially now, with mine and Zev’s plan.

“Matt, stay.” I said firmly. I kind of felt funny saying that because it felt like I was talking to a dog, which in some cases I guess you could say I was. I heard someone walking up the stairs and it smelled like it was Evan. Just the person I wanted to see.

When he came outside my bedroom door, I swung it open and pushed him against the wall. He looked surprised to see me, but he also got defensive and clipped me in the jaw, but I held my ground. “Damn it, Evan! That hurt,” I complained. “Well don’t sneak up on me like that! You idiot! I don’t even want to talk to you right now, you’ve destroyed everything.” He said, throwing my arm away.

“Evan I need your help.” I said in the most genuine voice I could. He looked me up and down. “What is Mackenna, I don’t like where this is going.” He said. I sighed and brought him into my room.

At first, Evan looked around and ignored a crazy-eyed Matt sitting on my bed. “What?” He asked, and then Matt came into focus. “What the hell are you doing in my sister’s bedroom?” Evan lunged towards Matt, but I quickly stopped him. “Stop, Evan. Nothing’s going on. He’s a werewolf.” Evan’s eyes got wide. “What?”

I explained to Evan everything that had happened to Matt and he seemed to understand. I told him that considering my current status in the pack that he would have to be the one to take Matt to Aidan to get him appointed into our pack.

“Fine, I’ll do it. Come on Matt,” Evan walked towards the door. Matt looked at me with saddened eyes. He didn’t want to leave me. I urged him to go. Finally, they left and my mind refocused on the task at hand: saving my best friend.