Chapter 10

Oh my, I have been really busy lately, so I haven't uploaded in a while. Since I'm on spring break, hopefully I will write more. I got really sick a little while ago, so I also had a lot of school work to make up. Hope you enjoy this chapter!

__________________

My heart fluttered when my first leg swung over the windowsill. It started beating even faster when I looked down and noticed how high up my room was. I took a deep breath. You can do this Mackenna. Since when have you been scared of heights? I’m probably just being overdramatic. Just focus…and you’ll be alright.

Making sure that I didn’t lose my balance, my eyes quickly shifted towards the garden ladder that I’m assuming I was going to use to get down. “Are you sure this is safe?” I whispered. Even though Christina was behind me, I could practically see her eyes rolling. Aidan chuckled. “Yes, I’m sure. And if you fall, I’m probably one of the…best people to catch you.” I let out a heavy sigh, not noticing that I was holding my breath. “Okay.”

My right leg swung over, steadily, to the garden ladder and my right hand grasped a rung. Then I hoisted myself up so I was hanging off of the ladder now. It was getting hard to swallow because I was so nervous. By now my stomach was in my chest.

I started making my way down the ladder very carefully. The last thing I wanted to do was go tumbling down ten ladder rungs and fall on top of Aidan. How embarrassing would that be. Christina was watching from my bedroom window with wide eyes and her teeth biting down hard on her lower lip. “Be careful.” She whispered.

At least I was almost down now. Just a few more rungs. That’s when my right foot slipped. I gasped and grabbed for one of the rungs, but it was too late. I had already lost my balance. “Aidan!” I screamed. Right before I could hit the ground, a pair of tan, warm, muscular arms grabbed me. When I finally pried my terrified eyes open, a beautiful pair of big brown eyes were staring right back at me. I gasped and clung to his neck. “Oh thank god!” I whispered and refused to let go. Even though I only fell about three feet, that was high enough for me.

He held onto me tightly. “It’s alright. You’re fine.” He sat me down and slung my bag, that Christina must have thrown down, over his shoulder. “Okay, we should get going.” Aidan said. I looked up at Christina, who was still wide eyed and biting her lip. “You sure you’re going to be all right? I swear I’ll be back by 7 am.” Christina, finally out of shock, nodded. “Don’t worry about me. Go have a fun night with your love.” She winked and started walking farther into my bedroom. Before she was fully out of sight she ran back to the window. “But do try to be back at 7, okay? ‘Cause then I’ll have to hang out with your stinking brothers. Well…Evan’s not that bad but I can only tolerate Bud so much.” She shuttered, then laughed. “Okay, I promise.” She smiled and shut the window, then disappeared into my room.

“So, what are we doing tonight, Romeo?” He shrugged. “That’s for me to know, and for you to find out shortly.” He said, then wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me up towards his lips. The resist was killing me, so I quickly close the short space between us. My fingers played with Aidan’s hair and his tangled mine. His lips started to trace my jaw line until it gave me shivers down my spine and a slight moan came out. Aidan chuckled. “Okay. Now we’re ready.” I felt almost drugged now. Under the spell of Aidan’s charm and wittiness. Oh how I hated that part of him, but I also couldn’t resist it.

“Uh huh.” I answered. “You know, I think you might just be the end of me one day? I might just be so love blinded by you that it’ll kill me. I swear…” I laughed, but Aidan’s face turned more serious. “Come on. Stay close.” He said. I had to admit, I was a little frightened by this sudden hardness that Aidan was now possessing, but I shrugged it off rather quickly.

He took my hand and we started walking into the woods. I didn’t like going in the woods much at night. Even though I was a werewolf, it frightened me. Who knows what’s out there. Knowing that I had Aidan with me was a bit of a relief though. How much safer can you get then having the alpha werewolf by you side.

We kept walking until we came to a little pond. It was quite lovely. A little dock was off to the left and it looked bright blue, almost like it was glowing. I almost had this strange urge to jump in and swim in it. Then, underneath a huge tree to the right, was a blanket with some beverages, some food, and a few other things that I could make out.

“Wow. It’s…gorgeous.” I said in disbelief. Aidan smiled contently and looked around. “You really think so?” He asked, obviously beyond thrilled that I liked it. “Well of course! It’s breathtaking!” My eyes scanned the place again, taking in the whole scenery.

“So, I was thinking we could start off by going for a swim? I know you didn’t pack any bathing suit, but I’m not prepared either. I mean, I’m not thinking of anything…that intense, but…it’s a gorgeous night.”

My eyes widened. I wanted to go swimming so bad. Especially with Aidan. “Uhh…yeah. Of course!”

***

The fire crackled in the now faint moonlight and the stars shined brighter than I’ve seen them in a while. Probably even brighter than that one night with Christina. It was a cool night, slight breeze, but I wasn’t in the least bit cold. Aidan’s arms were tightly wrapped around me. I snuggled into his chest even more and sighed. The heat radiating from him was comforting.

My hair was still fairly damp from the midnight swim, and my feet were numb from stumbling and tripping while trying to dance with Aidan. That was a fail, but it was all worth it. I was with Aidan, my love and that’s all that mattered right now.

Aidan sighed and started humming an unfamiliar tune into my ear. “Thank you.” He whispered. I looked up at him with a confused expression across my face. “For what, might I ask?” He shrugged. “For coming with me tonight. Even though this is completely 100% forbidden.” He chuckled. I smiled. “Well, thank you for thinking of this. This was amazing. I just…don’t even know how to describe this.” My lips lingered on his neck for a moment, then our eyes found each other’s. Aidan shivered.

“Don’t thank me. I needed to do this. I needed to see you one last time…be with you one last time before…” He trailed off and his face turned really hard. It looked like he was staring at something off into the distance, or into the future almost. I waited a few minutes for the rest of his sentence, but then realized it wasn’t coming. “Before what?” I wondered aloud. My fingers extended and lightly touched his chest, then trailed down until they met his abs, and finally crawling back up to his chest.

Aidan finally snapped out of his trance. “Hmm? Oh, uhh…nothing. It’s nothing.” His eyes fell to the ground, avoiding mine. “What is it. You can tell me.” I comforted. I’m usually not much of a comforting person, so this was kind of difficult for me to sound real. I never comfort people because I’m usually the one who needs comforting.

He sighed a deep, heavy sigh and looked towards the pond, then his eyes found mine. “Do you know what happens to the alpha when they fall in love with one from their pack, Mackenna?” He asked steadily and calmly. I could sense the atmosphere rising in suspension and slowly shook my head. “They die.”