Chapter 18

“It’s as simple as this. We use the Nunubu’s advantage against them. They’re using microchips on our wolves to figure out what our next move is so that they’re always one step ahead of us. If we twist their minds into doing something that will lead them right to us, we’d have them easily and the war begins.” I said, with a bit of a smirk on my face.

                Zev smiled. “Wow, I can’t believe we’ve been so stupid!” He scoffed. Then he realized something. “Wait a minute Kenna. If they’ve been listening to everything, then that means…they know about you and Aiden’s relationship.” I could tell that Zev was trying to break this news to me lightly, but it didn’t work so well. I began tearing up. All I could do was manage a nod.

                “Oh, Kenna. I’m so sorry.” Zev sighed and gave me a nice, caring hug. I wiped the tears away from my eyes and took a deep breath in and then out. “That’s a part of living this life I guess.” I breathed. Zev seemed to have a lot of sympathy for me, but even he knew there was nothing he could do to readjust out fate. Aiden’s going to die because of me, and no one can do anything about it.

                “I really think we need to involve more people though.” Zev suggested. “Well, I’m the outcast in this pack right now. Everyone hates me. I’m just a screw up. You’re going to have to do it Zev. That’s the tricky part. I have to stay out of it. I have to go save my friend.” I looked off across the water at the sun slowly starting to set. It was beautiful by the dock. I felt at peace.

                “MacKenna, you can’t! That’d be suicide to go alone!” Zev pleaded, trying to talk me out of it. “It’s suicide if I stay here and think about my friend being tortured, or to think that every second I stand around doing nothing is a second closer to Aiden’s death.” With a quick kiss on his forehead, I knew I had to leave. A minute longer that I stay means a minute longer for him to talk me out of doing this. “You know what you have to do Zev!” I hollered as I ran back towards my house.

                I burst throw the doors of my living room and not a person in that room was even phased. Bud was infatuated with his video games along with Jonny and my mom was into a new book she had started reading. Evan had to know what I’m up to, just in case something happens to me, I thought.

                I ran up to my bedroom and ran head-on into Matt. “Ow!” I hollered as we conked heads. “I’m so sorry!” I shouted, cursing under my breath at the throbbing in my head. “No, no it was my bad. I’ve been looking for you everywhere Mackenna, where have you been!” He almost sounded angry. I looked at him, a bit taken aback by his tone, and tried to focus my vision. “I need to sit,” I said, taking a seat on the stair-step we were on. He sat next to me.

                “I’m really sorry, Kenna. That must have hurt. You look like you need ice.” He observed. I shook my head. “Forget it, I’m fine. Why were you looking for me?” Matt, still rubbing his head a bit, looked over at me.

                “Mackenna, can you look at me for a second?” He asked. I mentally rolled my eyes, but turned my head to look into his beautiful eyes. Right when I directly faced him, he leaned in and gave me a fat kiss. My eyes grew big and I resisted. Matt kept pace, however, and then his kiss became enticing. It was lively, random, and it made my heart beat a hundred folds. So, I began kissing back.

                My hands wrapped around his neck and I repositioned my body, straddling him. He wrapped his arms securely around my waist and held me close. Way too soon for my liking, he pulled away and leaned in towards my ear. “It’s kind of awkward just making out on your stairs, isn’t it?” He whispered in my ear. Keeping my legs wrapped around his waist, he lifted me up and walked up the stairs towards my bedroom.

                He sat me down on the bed and I didn’t waste any time beginning where we left off. My veins were rushing and my pulse was accelerating. I wanted to get closer to Matt. Even though our bodies were touching, I wanted to get closer. I couldn’t explain the intensity of the kiss, but it made me want him bad. I grabbed at the collar of his shirt and on command, he took it off. The heat radiating off his body was so comforting and so, inhuman.

                That’s when all concentration was refocused and I could suddenly think again. Everything was getting put together and I couldn’t believe that I didn’t pick up on it sooner. “You’re a werewolf.” I gasped.