Chapter 29

Rose

I have never been inside the Mafia bar. Let alone in the day time. It was quiet except for a few gorgeous men walking around in suits.

Dad walked into an office and grandpa and grandma were chatting with dads' uncle Brandon. Our grandparents were fairly young.

"Rose, how are you sweetheart?" My grandma asked kissing my head.

"Hi grandma." I smiled and then I hugged my grandpa and he hugged me back tightly and kissed my head as well.

"I brought Rose over because she is fighting in the underground." Dad began.

"The underground? Hey, remember when we used to fight there? Oh we would kick ass." Brandon smirked.

"She wants to be the best she has to learn from the best." Dad said looking at Brandon.

"I could take Brandon any day." Grandma smirked.

"Please sexy, you wouldn't last a round." He taunted. I loved being around them no matter how much older or more responsible they were supposed to get, they never did.

"Alright come, darling." Brandon said making Dad and I follow.

"Are you sure dad?" I asked.

"What are you backing out? I thought you wanted to carry on the Rivers legacy?" He asked.

"But mom is upset."

"Princess, your mom and I learned to let you and Steele do what you need to do. If you don't want to join the Mafia then so be it. Do what makes you happy. If fighting makes you happy then go for it, don't let anyone tell you that you shouldn't do it. You're a strong, gorgeous girl, okay?" He said brushing my cheek with his thumb.

I nodded and he smiled.

"Good come on." We walked by women in skimpy lingerie with smeared lipstick or a clear, white-ish substance on their mouths. The girls were all really pretty though.

We came to a place in the back with mirrors on the wall and a mat on the ground.

"This is where we used to practice. Ace and the boys used to train here, your dad learned to fight here so you will learn." Brandon explained taking off his jacket. I wasn't sure if I should call him uncle or not so I just nodded.

"First..." He said taking my hands and looking at the cuts.

"If you fight bare handed you are going to get a lot of scars." He said tapping my knuckles. I flinched back because they were still sore and he pursed his lips.

He went into the back room and came out with a pink foamy wrap and white tape.

"Tape your wrists and knuckles before every fight, it will reduce your cuts." He said taking my hand. He applied a generous amount of pink foam and then tapped it over.

"Good, now let's do some training." He said.

Steele

"Steele, what is going on between you and Rose? You guys never fight." Mom sighed as we drove home.

"I don't want to see her get hurt again. It was my fault she got hurt in the first place."

"Steele, Rose is a big girl now and it wasn't your fault that she got hurt. You're her twin brother and technically her older brother. She looks to you for support and approval."

"No she doesn't." I mumbled.

"She does, she asked you if she should sign up for soccer and she wasn't sure. Once you said yes she signed the form in a heartbeat. When she went out to the movies in grade seven with that boy Trevor she asked you if she should go. You said to go and have fun and she did. This is something she wants to do and as much as I don't want to see her get hurt, she likes doing it." She explained.

"Maybe if she limits the fighting to this underground then she will stop getting in trouble at school? You just have to support her, she is having a tough time. None of the girls at school liked her so she is lonely. Once you disapproved of something she snapped because she always thought you would help and support her."

"I don't see how I make that much of an impact." I sighed as we pulled into the parking lot.

"Steele, Rose doesn't do anything unless you have some say. Even with clothes she always wonders if you think it would be appropriate for school or if you think she should go out with this guy. You have so much impact in her life."

"I guess I should stop worrying, huh?"

"Leave the worrying to me. That's what moms are supposed to do." She chuckled getting out.

"Now what happened with her and Finn?" She asked.

"He doesn't want her getting hurt either so they broke up because he couldn't watch her fight again and possibly forget him. He tells me all the time how much it scared him that Rose forgot who he was."

"Wow, he really likes her." She said opening the door.

"He does. All he does is talk about how pretty she is or how unique and independent she is. I don't think he wants to see her get hurt again either."

"Oh boys and their pride. They always think the girl needs to be protected. Rose is a strong little girl. Nothing holds her down and she always bounces back. Just be open minded she is still finding herself and she needs her help. Be a supportive big brother and help her."

"I promise." I said.

"Good, I'm so proud of you. I love you." She said kissing my cheek.

"I love you too mom." I whispered.