Chapter 17

Steele

The teachers tried to tell us to leave but we were Rivers. You don't tell Rivers to leave when one of us are down.

Rose was on the ground and I kept looking at the dent in the locker of where her head went and the slight blood that was forming on the ground.

It felt like something in me broke for a second.

Shortly the ambulance arrived and the paramedics came in. Cameron explained what happened because the rest of us couldn't speak and the teachers weren't here when it happened.

They put Rose on a backboard and a large gash was on the right side of her forehead. A collar was placed on her but her eyes were still closed.

"Who are these boys?" One paramedic asked.

"We're her brothers." Connor, Cameron, Sam and I said.

"I'm her cousin." Derek answered.

"I'm her boyfriend." Finn said sternly.

"I only got room for one of you."

"Steele go. He is her twin." Coach Finley ordered. I followed the paramedics out and got into the ambulance.

He took Rose's blood pressure and other things as I just sat staring.

"Hey, she's going to be alright. What's your name?" The paramedic asked.

"Steele Rivers. She's my twin Rose."

"Steele and Rose? I work with your uncle Zach. He will be looking after her so you know she is in good hands. You should call your mom and dad. The hospital is going to be filled with Rivers." She said.

***

"Where is she?" My mom yelled frantically.

"She's in surgery." I said quietly. My mom looked over and then came over pulling me into her chest. Whenever Rose and I got hurt I kid you not the other felt it.

"What happened Steele?" She asked.

"Her and Clarabelle got into a fight. Clarabelle was saying how Rose is psychotic and that our whole family is psychotic. Rose had her beat but I grabbed her to try and stop her from fighting. Clarabelle grabbed her hair and the threw her head first into the lockers. If I hadn't of grabbed Rose..." I sighed running a hand through my hair.

"Shh, baby. Don't say that." My mom said.

"It's a freak accident. You know yourself Rose doesn't lay down and give up." My dad said bending down and placing a hand on my knee.

"Who is going to grab the boys?" My mom asked.

"Derek is driving my car home and Finn is bringing the boys." I said.

"Finn? Who is Finn?" My mom asked.

"He's a new kid. He has been here for about a month now. Him and Rose are basically dating." I said.

"Really? How come we haven't heard of him?" My dad asked.

"Because Rose doesn't really like talking to you guys anymore. Everything you guys say is to bring her down or to tell her how she has to join the family business. She fights because you guys piss her off." I said.

"We do no such thing." My mom gasped.

"Mom do you know that I got four letters from universities for hockey scholarships? Rose was good at hockey too. I can go somewhere with hockey and we don't want to join the Mafia." I said.

"Four scholarships?" My dad asked surprised and I nodded.

"You guys should come to one of my games sometime. I'm pretty good." I shrugged. My mom planted a kiss on my cheek and ran her hands through my hair.

"You guys can do whatever makes you happy. We love you no matter what." She said and I smiled.

"On the weekend Rose didn't stay with her new friend. She was at Finn's."

"What!?" My dad roared.

"Luke stop. You know damn well I used to stay at your house all the time. Knock it off." My mom scolded. My dad sighed and rolled his eyes before slumping into a plastic chair.

"I want to meet this Finn." He said.

"That's me, sir."