Lois

By Anonymous

~

I don't know when it started, really.

When I met Lois, I was so wrapped up in my crush on Phoenix that I didn't really think of anyone else.

Lois seemed like that girl who was really smart and boring. I didn't know her at all. She was going to a different high school anyways.

I vented to her about Phoenix. She listened to me. I soon realized how much we had in common.

I realized she was on my mind a lot, and I didn't know why.

I used to hate science class. I began looking forward to it so I could see Lois.

After a while, it became obvious. Phoenix was just no longer beautiful to me.

But I knew who was.

I spent hours on the internet, on quizzes, on wikis, titled things like "Does she like you?" "10 signs a girl likes you". I became obsessed.

But I never paid attention to the results. In my mind, if there was a single sign she didn't like me, then what was I thinking, of course Lois doesn't like me. I ignored my intuition.

At Gradventure we held hands and wandered the streets of Universal under the starry sky.

It was the best feeling in the world. And even though her hand is bigger than mine, they somehow still fit together perfectly.

2 weeks before the end of school, I told her in the library.

She told me she liked me too.

I was exhilarated. I felt like I could do anything.

The next 2 weeks were the best of my life.

She was the best girlfriend in the world. I have no idea what I did to deserve her. I gave her 100 lucky paper stars. She gave me paper cranes.

But every goodbye was a stark reminder of the time we had left.

On the second to last day, she sang to me and played her guitar. It was the most beautiful thing that had ever happened to me.

On the last day of school, I drew tiny hearts everywhere with a Sharpie. On the walls of the art room. In the bathroom. On cabinets, on posters. I didn't care.

We were corralled to the bus loop. We were surrounded by people. I couldn't kiss her. I said goodbye. I watched her walk away. I never saw her again.

I love you, Lois.