Figuring It Out

By forgetful- / aud

~

Growing up, we didn't really talk about sexuality. I don't really remember when I learned that girls could like girls and boys could like boys, but it was well into middle school. During freshman year, I had to deal with so-called "friends" who liked to say that they were bi because they thought it was cool, not because they actually liked other girls. This was during those horrible years when being bi was like a fad; people were claiming to be bi in order to fit into the LGBT community. I hated those girls with a passion that surprised me; it wasn't until I began to (slowly) comprehend my own sexuality that I realized why I'd hated them so much. Those girls from freshman year were making the way I felt into a trend, and it isn't, wasn't, and never will be. Bisexual isn't a term for heterosexuals who feel "left out" of the LGBT community.

I came out to myself as bisexual in 2015 and holy hell, it felt soo good! I had a crush on one of my friends, but it fizzled out and now we're relatively closeted bisexual best friends!

To be honest, allowing my username to be published along with my bisexual story is really really hard for me. Even as I write this, I'm second guessing my decision. But I feel like it's time. I feel like I'm lying to everyone by not telling them about how I truly feel. I just worry that my friends won't be as open or friendly with me once I tell them.

But this is who I am. And if they're going to be my friends, they need to accept that. This post in itself is a milestone as it's the first time I'm going to publicly tell people that I am bisexual, so yay!

My name is Audrey, I live in the sunny state of California, and I am bisexual. Stay strong, guys!!