Bowties

By miracleinprogress

~

On my one year anniversary, my partner gave me bowties. To many of you, a bowtie may seem as a simple accessory, but for me it was closure. I come from a homophobic family who I love and care for despite their disapproval of my sexuality. In my upbringing, I was always dressing in a feminine manner. When I reached adolescence, I realized that I also enjoyed dressing in masculine clothing. The only problem was that my parents refused to let me go anywhere wearing "boy clothes". Thus began my secret getaways to dress masculine. I would hide my father's old dress shirts and ties in my bag and change u on arriving at school. This went on for about a year, in which I would wear both feminine and masculine clothing, depending on how I felt. Unfortunately someone at my school saw me in masculine attire and told my parents. I was told to wear more skirts and makeup. About a year ago, I met my partner and she made me realize that I can be who I want to be in spite of what others say. I started tearing down walls that had been built up for years since that incident. I began to explore clothing again and love myself more. When my partner gave me the bowties, I was ecstatic and humbled by this gift. A few days after our anniversary, I wore a bowtie to school. People stared, others complimented me. But it didn't matter, because I knew how far I had come, and how confident I was on myself. In my own skin. And that's all that mattered.