Home-What if she never left

Katherine P.O.V

"You gonna be alright, man?"Sam asked his brother. We were sat in the car outside their old house.

"Let me get back to you on that."Dean grumbled as they both exited the car. I got out at a slower pace, wanting to give them some space. They were both tense and the long drive here had been silent except the music coming from the speakers at a low volume. Both boys were at front with me slightly behind. Dean knocked on the door and took a deep breath. A woman with blonde hair answered the door with a small smile.

"Yes?"She asked, looking between the three of us.

"Sorry to bother you ma'am, but we're with the Federal-"Dean started but Sam cut him off.

"I'm Sam Winchester and this is my brother, Dean and our friend, Katherine. We used to live here. You know, we were just driving by, and we were wondering if we could come see the old place."Sam said, sounding nervous.

"Winchester. Yeah, that's so funny. You know, I think I found some of your photos the other night."The women said with a welcoming smile.

"You did?"Dean asked, tilting his head slightly to the side as she nodded.

"Come on in."She moved to the side, letting us in. We all smiled politely as we entered."I'm Jenny."

Jenny led us through the house and towards the kitchen where a girl about 9 years old and a boy about 3 were. The girl was at the table doing homework while the little boy was jumping up and down in a playpen."Juice!"He kept repeating.

"That's Richie. He's kind of a juice junkie."She told us, getting a sippy cup from the fridge and handing it to the toddler."But hey, at least he won't get scurvy."She added before walking to the girl at the table."Sari, this is Sam, Dean, and Katherine. They used to live here." Jenny told her daughter. The girl looked up and smiled.

"Hey."She greeted as Dean waved.

"Hey Sari."I said, smiling at the young girl. I didn't know why but I had a sinking feeling in my gut. It appeared just as we pulled up outside the house and hadn't disappeared within entering, only gotten worse. I shifted awkwardly on my feet.

"So, you just moved in?"Dean asked Jenny.

"Yeah, from Wichita."She replied.

"You got family here, or....?"Dean asked, trailing off, not wanting to imply anything and sound rude.

"No. I just, uh....needed a fresh start, that's all. So, new town, new job-I mean, as soon as I find one. New house."She said, nodding her head with a content smile.

"So, how you liking it so far?"Sam asked, putting his hands into the pockets of his jeans.

"Well, uh, with all due respect to your childhood home-I mean, I'm sure you had lots of happy memories here."She started. Dean smiled weakly as her words brought back memories the opposite of what she said."But this place has issues."

"What do you mean?"I questioned.

"Well, it's just getting old. Like the wiring, you know? We've got flickering lights almost hourly."She said with a nervous smile.

"Oh that's too bad. What else?"Dean asked, this was starting to sound suspicious.

"Um...the sink's backed up, there's rats in the basement."She told us, pausing."I'm sorry. I don't mean to complain."

"No, have you seen the rats or have you just heard scratching?"Dean inquired, not offended in the least.

"It's just the scratching, actually."She nodded.