Wendigo-Saving people, Hunting things, the family business

Katherine P.O.V

Night had fallen and we had built a fir in the trashed camp site. Haley and Ben were snuggled close to the fire, trying to keep warm. Dean was moving around the camp-site, finishing up some symbols that will protect us from the wendigo.

"One more time, that's-"Haley started, but Dean cut her off.

"Anasazi symbols. It's for protection. The wendigo can't cross over them." He explained and Roy laughed sharply.

"Nobody likes a skeptic, Roy." I grumbled, glaring at him over my shoulder. Dean chuckled softly and I moved over to Sam. "Hey, moose." I said as I sat down beside him.

Sam looked at me with a slight smile."Hey, pip squeak."

My eyes narrowed at the nickname he's used since we were 15 when he started to out-grow me."I am not short."

"Yes, you are."He smirked.

"Nuh-uh, I'm average. You're just freakishly tall!" He laughed and I couldn't help but join in. That came to an end though and I saw Sam's face fall in thought. "You gonna tell me what's wrong?"

"It's nothing Kat."

"Don't give me that Sam. We're best friends and I know you so tell me what's up."I ordered softly. He sighed and looked down at his feet.

"It's just- Dad's not here. I mean, that much we know for sure, right? He would have left us a message, or a sign or something right?"

I furrowed my eyebrows. I hadn't thought of that. He's right, John would have left us something. "I think your right, I don't think John's ever even been to Lost Creek." Sam nodded in agreement.

"Then let's just get these people back to the town and let's hit the road. Go find Dad. I mean, why are we still here, Kat? It's Haley isn't it?"

I shook my head. I mean sure maybe Dean was attracted to Haley but that wasn't why I was here. "I made a promise Sam, I told Shaw that I'd find the asshole that did that to him. And we have to help them. If we don't who will?"

"She's right, Sammy." Dean spoke and I jumped, I hadn't realized that he had joined us. " And I think we're here because of this." He said and reached over Sam to grab the journal hat lay on the tree stump beside him." This is Dad's single most valuable possession. Everything he knows about every evil thing is in here, and now he's passed it onto us. I think he wants us to pick up where he left off. You know, saving people, hunting things. The family business."

Sam shook his head, I sat there awkwardly. This was now a sibling moment. I mean sure we considered each other family but there was always times where it was meant for just them two. Not me. "It makes no sense Dean. Why doesn't he just call us? Why doesn't he- tell us what he want, tell us where he is?"

Dean shrugged. "I don't know, but the way I see it, Dad's given us a job to do, and I intend to do it."

"Dean I can't. I gotta find Dad. I gotta find Jessica's killer. It's the only thing I can think about."Sam admitted. I knew it was hard for him to admit that, he was trying to make us believe that he was okay for so long and with those words, he just let us know he's not. I placed a gentle hand on Sam's hand. Dean nodded his head slowly.

"Okay, alright Sam. We'll find them. I promise, and I know Kat promises too." I nodded my head when Sam looked over at me to double check. "Listen to me, you got to prepare yourself. I mean, this search could take a while, and all that anger, you can't keep it burning over the long haul. It's going to kill you. You've got to have patience man."