One More Step

(I want to formally apologize,I published this chapter before but a huge glitch occurred and almost all of the words disappeared, it even changed the name and pic I was using!!! I am so sorry for this inconvenience! Please forgive me!!! I even had over 900 words on it yet POOF it all disappeared :( I'm so sorry!)

Sphintus looked over Vegvísir's shoulder, expecting to see a castle or mansion of some sort. But there wasn't anything, just an ominous shadow just below the water, and a small oddly shaped rock could be seen.

"I thought you said the place was supposed to be here." Sphintus mumbled unhappily.

"It is supposed to be here..." Vegvísir mumbled uncomfortably.

"Don't worry, it's here. The water is just covering it." Zmaj purred.

"H-how...? Why would someone build a castle here if it was just going to be covered by water...?" Sphintus whispered.

"The house is mostly inhabited by water spirits so it's only natural that they would have a house like this." Zmaj replied, and with a flap of her wings began to descend towards the water.

"Wait." Vegvísir warned Zmaj.

"What?" Zmaj and Sphintus said in unison.

"Aren't there kelpie's in the water?" Vegvísir asked uncomfortably.

"I think there are." Zmaj replied.

Sphintus frowned, he had never heard of a kelpie.

"What's a kelpie?" Sphintus asked with a confused frown.

"...It's hard to explain...let's just say you DON'T want to meet one." Vegvísir said with an uncomfortable laugh, making Sphintus feel like she was joking. But why would she joke about that?

"Mph." Sphintus frowned again, then let out a sigh. "How are we going to get into the castle then?"

"We just have to wait for the water to go back into the main lake." Vegvísir replied unhappily.

"Oh..." Sphintus sighed, he didn't want to wait any longer to see his brother...he missed him.

"It's ok, it looks like it's already beginning to move back out...in maybe another three hours we should be able to enter." Zmaj told them both.

"Ok." They said in unison.

Zmaj seemingly motionless began to ascend back into the sky, she flew around in a circle for a bit before landing on a nearby island.

"We can wait here." Zmaj told them both. Then with out another word she laid down and rested her large head on her claws.

Sphintus sat down near the shore, the water lapped at his feet. It was cold. He stood up slowly and began to walk towards the other side of the island.

"Where are you going?" Vegvísir jogged up to him.

"A walk." Sphintus replied.

"Oh, ok then...have fun?" She said with an unsure smile.

"Yeah...thanks." Sphintus waved at her, and continued walking. The small island was covered in an assortment of different trees and plants. With a small boulder here and there. He walked deeper into the cluster of plants, careful not to step on anything.

He eventually got to a wide clearing, smack in the middle of it was a large slanting rock covered in moss. Sphintus ran his fingers over it, it was slick on his fingertips. The wind seemed to blow in every direction, it played with his golden hair and tugged at his shirt. Slowly, but steadily...almost against his will he walked...no...ran in the direction of the wind. The faster the wind flew, the faster he seemed to run. Then just as suddenly, it stopped.

He had no idea where he was.

Standing in front of him was an oversized horse with dark eyes, and almost green gray hair. Sphintus looked into its pleading eyes...and then he froze. He wanted to look away, but he couldn't. The horse's eyes seemed to pull him in.

It reached its head towards Sphintus, and steadily his arms wrapped around its thick neck. Sphintus' eyes widened, he hadn't meant to do that...had he?

With a pleased snort the horse began to head towards the water. Sphintus' arms were still clinging to it, dragging him steadily towards the water as the beast got closer.

Sphintus tried to move but he couldn't, his arms refused to move...as if they had been stuck there with super glue. His mind was fuzzy, and his tongue felt heavy. He wanted to yell for help, but his body wasn't cooperating.

Sphintus hung there limp around the horses neck, right until they reached the water. The horse seemed to grow even larger, it's grayish hair turning a dark green and a huge horn sprouted from its head. Sphintus suddenly felt that he had more control and twitched, he struggled to move his arms from around its neck.

"LET GO! LET ME GO! PUT ME DOWN!" Sphintus screeched, kicking at the horse's side with all of his strength.

It growled, a terrifying sound that seemed to come from its very core. It bared its sharp teeth at Sphintus and bit his shoulder.

Its teeth easily pierced the thin cloth of his shirt, blood immediately began to seep from the wound. The creatures eyes grew darker for a second, then it let out a whinney and rushed in to the water.

The cold water lapped at Sphintus' feet, causing him to shiver. His eyes brimmed with tears of pain.

"Someone...! Please help!" Sphintus cried out for someone to help him, but to no avail. The shock of having his shoulder punctured so easily had shaken him and his voice came out barely above a whisper.

The horse glared at him again, retreating faster into the water.

"Someone-!" Sphintus' cry was cut short from the water lapping into his mouth. He let out a loud cough and stretched his neck as far above the water as he could for air.

But just as suddenly as he did this the beast dove under the water. With a gasp Sphintus closed his mouth, he shook his head. He didn't want this. He didn't want to die like this.

The blood flowed freely from his wounded shoulder dyeing the water around him a dark red. Sphintus tried to remove his arms once more, before losing strength.

He couldn't get away.

He closed his eyes, welcoming the void of darkness that greated him.