From Dark to Bright

Michael awoke in the middle of the night to a sound. He could not tell what the noise was, for it had ended before he was truly awake. He jumped out of his bed, and his feet met the cold wooden floor. He walked swiftly, as he navigated the dark twists and turns. With each room or hall he searched in, his hands trailed along the walls, flipping the light switches.

   Michael turned the corner into the hall that lead into the kitchen.

Click

   Michael thought he heard something up ahead; he strained his ears.

Click

   Michael heard sobbing from the adjoining living room.
   He sprinted into the next room, his heart beating loudly in his chest.

   He searched furiously for the light switch.

.

.

.

Click

--

   You ran up to the man, burying your face in his chest.

   "Mommy's dead! Daddy killed Mommy!" You screamed,  your tears soaking his shirt.

   "H-Hitoshi?" Michael wrapped his arms around you. "Hitoshi, everything is fine... Everything's OK..." He said, trying to console you.

   After a long while, your cries faded, and you gently pushed Michael away.

   "I'm sorry," You mumbled softly.

   "What for?" He questioned, a pained look still plastered on his face.

   "...For waking you u-up."

   Michael frowned. "You don't need to apologize for having a nightmare," he replied.

   You looked up at him, and pushed up his cheeks. You giggled softly, "Turn t-that frown... upside down... Dad."

   Michael chuckled and squished your own cheeks. "Only once you do the same, Daughter."

--

~

--

   You watched the blurred scenery from the car window while you talked to Michael. You had agreed to therapy, from anyone besides the first psychiatrist he had taken you to. This new psychiatrist was very nice, and you have improved noticeably although only attending him for a couple sessions.

   As your ride from the session came to an end, you recognized a quite expensive car outside your home... along with two familiar figures.

   Once the car came to a stop, you rushed out of the door and ran up to hug your partner. He closed his arms around you in a comforting embrace.

   "Did you come here to see me," You peered around Mori's side and smirked at Honey, "or my cake?"

   With that Honey immediately rushed inside, and you could hear Michael laugh. Mori leaned over and kissed your forehead, before ruffling your hair and taking your hand.

   "Hopefully Mitsukuni will save some for us," Mori said with a chuckle as you two walked inside.

   "Don't you mean, 'Hopefully you will save some for me'?"

   Mori looked down at you in confusion, and you took this opportunity to sprint inside.

   "Cut me a slice, Honey!" You screamed in between giggles as you raced Mori to the kitchen. Before you could conclude victory, your feet left the ground as Mori picked you up. You wriggled in his grip and stretched an arm out towards the kitchen. After a moment you let your arms droop and laughed, giving up your efforts of escape.

   Mori set you back down to Earth, and you both walked into the kitchen. You sat yourself down at a seat, Honey having already cut you a slice. You turned back to see Mori still cutting himself a piece.

   "You're lagging, Morinozuka!" You said with a cheeky smile.

   Mori simply chuckled before taking his place beside you.

Your bright features lit up the room as you three joked and laughed over the tasty dessert.