6|Chase

CHAPTER 6

Life wasn't getting any easier, in fact it was actually getting a hell lot worse.

"Chase!" I turned to look at my eight year old sister, Rosemary. "When am I going to see Addie?"

She pouted and I sighed loudly. "I miss her." I hated seeing her so upset but then again, Addison was 2656 miles away, what could I do?

"I know you miss her, I do too." I draped my arm over her shoulder and put the TV on mute.

"Is she going to visit?"

"Soon."

The truth was Addison and I hadn't spoken about visits. I doubt she could visit seen as she needed to get settled.

I wasn't surprised that Rosemary was asking me this. She was really close with Addison and she looked up to her. It was nice to see them getting along.

She nodded her head and I sighed in relief. I hated having to lie to her and I could see just how upset she was. I needed to act like I was strong and that this whole thing wasn't bothering me. At least that way, she wouldn't be that sad.

The doorbell rang and I got up to open it.

I answered it to see Joel. He walked straight inside my house but I wasn't shocked because he was practically always over. "What are you even doing here?""

"You know," he said simply. I narrowed my eyes at him as closed the door. "I just wanted to hang out with you, why is that so bad?"

"It isn't bad," I grumbled.

"Hi Joel," Rosemary said as she stood next to him and he smiled at her, patting her head.

"Hello there Mary."

"It's Rosemary," she corrected. She hated it when people shortened down the name, the only one she allowed to do that  was Addison and Addison called her Rosie. She didn't even let me shorten her name.

"Same thing," Joel replied and I smirked at the evil gale that he was receiving from her. She rolled her eyes and walked back into the living room to watch TV.

"Let's go upstairs," I said and he nodded his head as we walked up to my room.

It was Saturday and I was getting bored out of my mind. I didn't know what I would do if I had to watch another episode of Barbie with Rosemary. This was one of the many things she did with Addison and seen as Addison wasn't here anymore, she always made me do it.

"So how's it going?" Joel asked as he sat down on my sofa and I sighed loudly. "Chase come on man please don't get all depressed."

I sat up as I stared at him. I wasn't getting depressed. Depression was a massive issue and he didn't have the right or medical profession to diagnose me with it.

"Whatever Joel you are entitled to your own opinion."

"Only it isn't just my opinion is it?" I rolled my eyes at him but didn't say anything. "Addie wouldn't want to see you like this."

"What am I supposed to Joel? She's nearly three thousand mile away from me and this is literally the longest we have been apart." He sighed as he leaned back in his seat, biting his his lower lip.

"I know but it will get better. This is the hardest part." I stayed quiet and he continued. "I spoke to her." I raised my eyebrows at him wondering what he was talking about.

"What?"

"I spoke to her this morning."

I had been calling her but she had been blowing me off yet she had time to speak to other people? How the hell was that possible?