I glanced at the impressive wooden antique grandfather clock, noting that it was just after 5 p.m., before I took a seat next to Max on the leather couch. Max closed the one-inch distance between our bodies by scooting closer. He did not let go of my hand.

"What's up, Dad?" Max asked.

"We need to talk about tonight," Mr. Evans answered.

"I've tried to give Liz as much information as possible," Max offered and I only felt calmness through the connection.

Something had changed, I realized. Max was a lot more comfortable around his father. Even though Max had been less than happy with his father the last time I had seen them together (after Mr. Evans had told me about my mother's deteriorating mental state), Max seemed to have sunk back into the previous beliefs he'd had about his father; That his father was really trying to help him. That his father was now really trying to help us.

In a way it indirectly meant that Max's father had accepted me by his son's side.

That seemed to have been the decisive factor; that Mr. Evans was prepared to help me, the person Max loved.

"Good," Mr. Evans replied and addressed me, "You need to be as informed as possible."

I swallowed and said quietly, "Okay."

"It's very important that you remain quiet at the meeting," Mr. Evans instructed me. "Only respond if you are asked a question or if you are directly addressed."

I nodded. I could do that. It was not like I voluntarily wanted to initiate conversations with the people Max had described anyway.

"Unless otherwise requested by the council, Max will speak for you both," Mr. Evans continued and I couldn't help but feel as if we were preparing to go into court.

Turning to his son, Mr. Evans continued, "Have you prepared any arguments?"

The first touch of insecurity flared through our connection and I glanced at Max.

In a way, this was ridiculous. To have to come up with reasons as to why we should be allowed to be together. It shouldn't have to be like this.

"We have cemented our bond, it will be impossible to break," Max started, his voice more confident than the feelings vibrating hesitantly through him.

Cemented, I thought, heat blazing through me.

"Unless one of you are sentenced to death," Mr. Evans stated slowly, a hint of concern in his eyes. "And they will most likely vote for you to be that someone, son."

My heart trembled with piercing fear as my eyes snapped to Max's profile and my fingers tightened around his.

No, my thought practically screamed through our connection, before something frantic took a hold of me. We shouldn't do this. Maybe we should just run away. It's too dangerous. Too risky.

Max turned to me, fierce determination in his eyes, and whispered, "I refuse to be ashamed of us. I don't want to hide."

"But..." I started to object.

"And that is only if they don't decide to punish you both for actually breaking the law by bonding," Mr. Evans interrupted, curiosity in his voice which sounded a bit off considering his statement. I could only presume that he had been intrigued by the hinted mental connection between Max and I, his tone of voice not having anything to do with what he had just said.

I swallowed at the bitter truth in Mr. Evans' statement. Then there was that. The weakness in using an argument that was based on an infraction.

"What else have you got, Max?" Mr. Evans continued.