“Yeah, it was funny!” I said, lightly elbowing her.

  We laughed for a long time and cut up, telling old stories about when I was little and stuff. It was awesome. I don’t know when I decided that I was going to start hanging out with my parents, but it had been a good decision. Even the times when I had “hated” them, they were just doing the best that they could.

  It kind of had me in a panic. I would be a mom one day. How would I raise my kids? What if they were terrible brats and I hated them? What would I do if I hated my own kids? That’s be awful! Would I go to hell for that?

  I just had to eat my waffles and ignore the babbling in my head. I wouldn’t have to think about being a mother for a very long time. I may be able to marry legally, but that didn’t mean I was going to.

  Everything would be just fine.

  The good thing about having a big birthday party was that everyone brought a present for me. Generally, I was not a greedy person. But I enjoyed gifts as much as the next person. I was very excited to see all these people—who probably didn’t know me, but who cares; they got me gifts!

  “Piperrrrr!” Lulu sang, slinging her arms around me in a tight hug. “Happy birthday!”

  I laughed. She looked so cute. Her pale hair was done up in high, very teased pigtails—I always wished I could pull off the pigtails look—she had very exotic makeup on, and was wearing the brightest outfit I had ever seen. She was in a tight black mini skirt with hot pink tights and an even brighter blue blouse. She even had a purple boa around her.

  She bestowed a hot pink boa to me, wrapping it once around my neck. “The first of many presents, my darling friend!”

  “I think you’ve had some drinks before I got here,” I laughed.

  Lulu waved me off. “Just one, I swear! But, honey, don’t keep track. I’ve got it all under control. Tonight is a night to get wasted!”

  Loud cheers followed Lulu’s obnoxious speech.

  “Happy birthday, Piper!” Maddie said, handing me a beer. She seemed rather sober.

  I took the beer. “Thanks. Your house is huge!” It was, too. It looked like a Civil War mansion.

  She grinned, fiddling with the feathers of her electric blue boa. “Thank you! It’s hardly lived in, I swear.”

  “Are you gonna get in trouble for having all these people here?” I asked her.

  “That’s what I’m hoping. My parents are always away. I would love it if someone broke an irreplaceable antique.

  I laughed nervously.

  Wrapping her arm around the shoulders of her drama friend, Lulu explained to me, “Her parents are dicks. Now drink up! You gotta catch up with me!”

  I laughed, doing just that.

  Maddie gave me a quick tour of the house. It was crazy at her house; couples making out in every nook and cranny, beer chugs. It was like a regular beer party, except for everyone wishing me a happy birthday. While beer parties really weren’t my thing, I had to admit that it was pretty cool being the center of attention at the party without being the owner of the house.

  And before I knew it, I had finished three beers. It took quite a few beers to get me drunk—must be the German in me—but a few beers more would do the trick.