An unexpected Encounter

Start from the beginning

"You're right. It's been so long. How have you been?" he asked casually.

"Fine and you?" i replied.

"Mee too" he said shortly. "Can i sit down next to you?"

"Of course" i showed at the empty space next to me.

He sat down and opened his bento. He sighed with a look of disappointment.

"What's wrong? You seem like you don't like your bento" i noted.

"Well, i actually like it. But my mother make always the same. I cannot see it anymore" he explained.

"Do you want to swap yours with mine?" i asked him.

He looked at my bento. "Are you sure? Yours looks way better than mine" he commented.

"Thank you, Toma. And yes i am sure" i held out my bento. He hestitate, but then grabed it and gave me his.

We started to eat our meal. "It's so delicious" i stated. "I've never doubed it, but yours is still better" he complimented. "Huh, really?" i raised an eyebrow. "Yeah" he took another bite. I watched him a moment. "You don't believe me? Then how about a direct comparison?" he asked me. I only looked at him. "Come on. Say 'ah'" he held out a bit of his bento. Toma didn't look as he would give in so fast, so i took the bite "And what do you think?" he ask. "I think, that from your mother is still better" He chuckled at my opinion.

I had to admit, that i missed to spend time with him. "Nee Toma. Can i ask you something?" i whispered. "Anything you want to" he replied. "Then tell me, why have you distant yourself from me?" i said with a hint of sadness in my voice. Toma answered after a short break. "I needed time to think about a few thinks" he confirmed. "I see" "But if you want, we can spend a bit time together, like last year?" he offered. "That would be great" i smiled at him.

The school clock rang, time for the next lession.

Toma stood up. "Then after school let's walk home together" he suggested. "Okay"

Timeskip

I made my way to the school entrance and looked after Toma.

He wasn't there, so i had no choice but to wait. Mariko and Kyoko walked towards me "Sorano, do you wait for someone?" Kyoko asked. "Yes, i do. Did you have seen Toma anywhere? We wanted to go home together?" "No, we haven't" they looked around.

Just in that moment, Toma ran to us. "Sorry, that you had to wait, Sorano" "It's okay. Should we go?" I asked him.
"Yes. You two too?" he frowned. "Of course" said Mariko. Toma walked to me, he put his hands on my shoulders, turned me around and pushed me away from the two girls. "Oi, don't forget about us" they ran after us. They catched up and we all walked alongside of each other. It feels so nostalgic.

"Sora, same question as in the morning" Mariko stated. "Not again" i whined. "What are you talking about?" asked Toma irritated. "I wanted to know, how her weekend was and if she met him again" she explained. "Him?" he questioned. "A boy from the basketball team of her brother" She started to explain everything that she knew about him. Toma listened quietly, but his eyes darkened a bit. But nobody noticed it.

"Do you like him?" Toma blurted out. I froze. "Not in that way" i said hestitately.
"Then it's okay" he replied. "What do you mean?" Mariko, Kyoko and i asekd in unison. "Unimportant" he said only. We looked confused at each other.

Before our ways parted, Kyoko suggested that we should do something in the afternoon. All of us agree, even Toma wanted to spend time with us. We thought about various things and decided to go to eat some ice cream and afterwards going to a karaoke bar. Then Mariko and Kyoko left and Toma and i went the rest of the way alone.