Chapter 29 Love You

Start from the beginning

"Let's, " he took a deep breath, "just forget what happened in New York." I nodded, willingly. "I want my dilli wali girlfriend back."

Just hearing those words made my day. The happiness inside me magnified. My heart was jumping wildly. Not controlling myself, I threw my arms around Rahul's neck and kissed him, surprising us both.

I pulled away quickly upon realizing what I had just done.

Rahul stared at me. "You never fail to catch me off guard."

My cheeks heated up. "Shut up. And I want my Rahul back too."

He smirked, leaning forward and planting a soft kiss on my lips. "In your style," he said seeing me with wide eyes. I realized what I had done. Burying my face in his chest in embarrassment, I mentally scolded myself. Who has their kiss in the middle of a nehr (water canal)?

Rahul's lips met mine over and over again as if he had been waiting for this moment as anxiously as me. I kissed him back with as much vigor, savoring the moment as if it was my last. I had my arms wrapped around his neck tightly, as our hot breaths mixed. When we finally stopped to catch our breaths, I couldn't help but smile.

"Vaise (by the way), Preet, I don't mind floating around with you in my arms," Rahul said grinning, "But I think people are worried about us and--wait, do you see that?"

I turned my head. There were beacons of light at a distance.

Rahul swam forward and then towards the right edge. There was a small space and stairs. It was normally for women to come and wash clothes, children etc. Now, it was our ticket out.

"Preet!" It was Mumma calling. "Rahul!"

She's worried for us both.

"Mumma." I exhaled loudly. I ran and hugged her.

She never cried and now, her eyes were puffy and red, and full of tears. After hugging me, she hugged Rahul, surprising me and him both.

Radhika di hugged us, too. She was in tears. Her brother had after all jumped in the water.

Papa was with the group. Normally, he spent the whole day with his older brother--Tayaji--at his shop. Papa was in the police but on leave. He gave me a hug and reprimanded me. We walked together in the front of the group.

"Preet, you know your mother and I love you dearly. How many times do we have to tell you to be more careful?" Papa asked. I had told everyone that I slipped trying to get off the bridge railing. "You're not a child anymore. What if something happened? Thank god, you and the boy are fine."

"Sorry, Papa."

He put his arm around me and said nothing else.

______________

Once home, Rahul and I didn't get another chance to talk. We cleaned up and sat down to have our hair dried with towels. Bebe was awake and took care of her Shahrukh's hair. Mumma dried mine but she had given both of us a suspicious look post return.

"I don't know how to thank you," Mumma said to Rahul.

"It's okay," Rahul said modest.

It's his fault I jumped.

Or well, lied about slipping off the railing and falling in the water.

"I heard you jumped in without hesitation," Sanam stated. "You and Preet don't even get along from what we've all observed." I looked at my best friend who was giving Rahul a skeptical look. Papa frowned at the boys. How was Rahul going to explain?