Chapter 27 Rahul Khurana (R. K.)

Start from the beginning

"Yup. Now, Rahul hates me because of the dumb plan, which wasn't really executed," I said, sitting back. "I was trying to get back at him when he insulted me but I stopped myself. I genuinely fell for him." All I wanted was Rahul to hear my side. That's it. If he wanted to keep hating me after that, then be it.

"He doesn't hate you," she said, shaking her head. Is she blind? "He's just upset with you, as he should be." I stayed silent. "Now, in order to get forgiveness from him, you have to make it up to him. Saying I'm sorry won't help."

"Can you help me? Please!"

I kept pleading until she agreed. His sister was much nicer than him!

We called it a night. I was too excited for the coming morning. Rahul's own sister said she'd help me. I needed to get rid of the guilt that stuck with me like my shadow.

The next two days passed with the same cold-hearted behavior from Rahul.

It wasn't getting us both anywhere.

When I woke up on the third day, I couldn't get off the bed. A little creature scurried back and forth on the floor. Radhika di wasn't here.

"Mumma!" I screamed.

I wrapped myself in my blanket, only exposing my face.

I kept shouting until half of my family was at the door, looking worried. Sanam was there too.

"What's wrong?" Radhika di asked. She was gesturing me something with her eyes but I couldn't understand. If this rat was her fault . . . ugh!

"Snake!" my three year old cousin screamed and ran away. His mom--my aunt Pinky--took him away, both scared.

"Chua (rat)!" I said erasing the misunderstanding and wrapping my dupatta around me.

The word made half of them leave, shaking their heads. Mumma, Radhika di, Sanam, Rahul, Samrat, and Lovely stayed. Finally, Mumma said, "Lovely, Sanam, just help her. I have to help with the haldi ceremony preparations." She left.

"Preet, come on," Sanam said, stepping forward.Why can't the stupid rat run out the door? I shook my head. Sanam sighed and took a seat on my bed. "Tell me how exactly can a rat hurt you."

"Plague," I replied.

It reminded me so much of the New York incident. I met Rahul's eyes for a brief moment. Did he remember?

"Preet, grow up," Lovely said. Radhika di was observing everybody. Rahul stood with Samrat, looking between the rat and Sanam.

"I can give you a piggyback ride," Sanam offered.

"Is that how you rescue people in the military?" Radhika di curiously asked. Sanam rolled his eyes and chuckled.

"You're in the military?" Rahul asked surprised. Sanam nodded proudly. "Great. You can take care of Preet--Preet's situation, I mean. Sam and I should head--" Wow, Rahul wants to leave.

"Come in . . . Over here . . . the snake's in this room." Pinky chachi (aunty) appeared in the doorway with a strange man.

He wore a orange kurta (long shirt), white pants, and a red turban on his head. He held a been (flute-like instrument) in his hand.

"Is that a snake charmer?" Lovedeep asked with half shocked and half amused.

After exchanging a glance, Sanam and I doubled over laughing. My Pinky chachi (aunty) was the most superstitious and most ridiculous person in the family. I don't even know how she found a snake charmer--or where she found him.