But unfortunately, Max wasn't even looking at me. He seemed to want to get out of here just as badly as I did.

"Liz," Sean coaxed and, against my better judgement, I looked over at the quarterback and got entangled in his eyes.

I kept staring at him, seeing Dr. Evans move around my bed out of the corner of my eye and Max step away from the wall he had been leaning against and following behind his father.

But I couldn't move. Couldn't even move my eyes to see what they were doing as they disappeared out of my range of vision. All I saw was blue. Blue eyes reflecting smugness.

"She's getting more difficult," Sean mumbled and my throat was itching from not being able to swallow.

"We'll be quick," Dr. Evans said behind me.

"Or we could just knock her out," Sean mused, but his voice had become strained.

"No."

That was Max. A strong and authoritative one-worded objection.

Sean shrugged. "It would be much easier, man."

"I can't examine her if she's unconscious," Dr. Evans said lowly behind me.

"Right," Sean grumbled, the smug slowly fading from his face.

Someone was touching my left arm, skimming his fingers around my elbow and up to my shoulder, and my body reacted by creating goosebumps of aversion.

"No glow," Dr. Evans stated.

"I don't mean to be rude, sir," Sean whispered and through my drying eyes I could see a droplet of sweat travel down his forehead while his cheeks flustered with effort, "but could you hurry up? She's fighting me."

"This can't be rushed, Sean," Dr. Evans said impatiently. "It's your task to find a solution to your problem. That's why you're here. To learn."

"Why isn't Max doing anything?" Sean's voice was annoyed and my body struggled to react to the hand that was suddenly placed against my forehead. I felt a small tremble run through me, which gave me hope that my mind was regaining control over my body. I desperately hung onto that feeling, hoping that it would lead me out of my stagnant state.

"That is not his task," Dr. Evans answered, his voice distracted. "Don't insult your own intelligence." He sighed, his breath fanning out over my cheek and nausea built in my throat. "Now. I need her eyes."

If I'd been able to react, I probably would have rolled off the bed and run screaming out of the room. Considering that they seemed to be able to control my body and slow down my thinking, they probably wouldn't have any problems removing my eyes.

"Careful," Dr. Evans warned, just before Sean blinked, breath flowing into my lungs, before my head was ripped to the side by a rough touch to my chin and my eyes connected with the brown eyes of Dr. Evans.

I felt something flutter against my forehead, like some insect was trying to go through my skull. So, naturally, I pushed back.

I registered the complete surprise on Dr. Evans' face before I realized that I was free.

The scream came tumbling up my dry throat and as a result ended in a pitiful croak. "Noooo!"

Strong hands grabbed my arms as I struggled backwards, searching for my voice to scream for help. The back of my head collided with the wall with a loud thump, but the sound was drowned out by the angry cries from Sean and Dr. Evans as they fought to restrain my struggling body.

"Let her be!"

Max's voice cut through the commotion, but I didn't dare to listen to it, as the hands left my body on Max's command and I tried to organize my limbs enough to find a way off the bed, out of the corner into which they had pushed me.