Why You Gotta Be So Mean? [Filler]

Start from the beginning

I nodded, turning to Liam. "You can have the front after, kay?"

Liam nodded.

Daddy helped me on the front of the saddle and set Liam behind me.

We must have ridden that poor pony for hours.

I slapped Liam's hand. "You idiot. Let go."

He glared at me and shoved me back. "Don't call me an idiot!" he yelled furiously.

I glared right back at him. After I got to my feet, I marched right on over to him and shoved him even harder than he'd shoved me. "Idiot, idiot, idiot, idiot!" I teased, leering over him.

He glared up at me and made a low growl before scrambling to his feet and tackling me. We rolled around in the dirt and leaves, hitting and biting and pulling eachother's hair.

"You don't know how to use the hose!" I screamed as he yanked my hair back.

"Yes I do!" he yelled right back in my face.

I kicked his stomach with my back feet, flinging him off of me. I stood up, my tiny hands fisted at me sides, trembling in anger. "You're so stupid, Liam!"

He crouched on his knees, holding his stomach. Tears were in his eyes as he screamed back, "I'm not your friend anymore!"

I stared at him in shock. My chin trembled and I stomped my foot. "Fine! I don't wanna be friends with a cry baby, anyway!" With that I stalked off.

I sat on my swing, kicking my feet idly back and forth. I was too mad to cry, but to sad to really be mad. I was going to have to tell Mommy and Daddy Liam and I weren't friends anymore. Everyone was over for a barbeque, though. When could I tell them?

I had no friends anymore. I'd be alone forever; friendless. Liam was so dumb, not being my friend just because he didn't know how to use the hose attachment and I did. I hated him.

My older cousin Chris sat in the swing next to me. "Where's your friend?" he asked me.

Chris was seventeen, but he still acted like a kid. I sighed, looking at my feet. "Who cares."

"Hey, what's wrong?"

"We're not friends anymore," I mumbled, trying not to cry.

"How come?"

"Cause he's stupid."

"Why's he stupid?" Chris asked. "I thought you guys were best friends."

"That was before he was stupid."

"You gonna tell me what happened?"

I looked at Chris, jumping in the story. "Okay, so we were out back playing with the new attachment for the hose, and Liam didn't know how to get the water out. So I said I could do it and he shoved me. So I had to shove him back and then he started pulling my hair and stuff. And I had to call him stupid, cause he is, so he said we're not friends anymore." I sniffled. "And now we're not."

The corner of Chris's mouth twitched and he cleared his throat. "That's it? You didn't call him any names first?"

I stared at me feet guiltily. "Well....I slapped his hand an called him an idiot...."

"Ahh. So, really, you're both at fault, aren't you?"

I nodded.

"Don't you think you should apologize?"

I looked up at Chris sharply. "No! He should say sorry first!"

Chris gave me a stern look. "Piper. You really wanna stop bein' friends after something so silly?"

I sighed. "You don't get it."

"Sure I do. I used to do the same thing with my friends. And we're still friends now."

"Really?"

Chris nodded. "Just go say you're sorry."

"Okay..." I got up and hugged my cousin. "Thanks, Chris."

He patted my back. "No problem, sweetie."

I walked away from the swing and started looking for Liam.

He was sitting on the little bridge over the creek, dangling his feet above the water. I sat next to him. We didn't say anything for a long time.

"I'm sorry I called you an idiot," I said softly at last, my voice choked with tears.

Liam nodded, staring at the crawfish in the water. "I'm sorry I shoved you."

"I'm sorry I shoved you back."

"I'm sorry I pulled your hair."

"I'm sorry I said you were stupid."

Liam looked up at me and I could see the tears in his big hazel eyes. "I'm sorry I said we weren't friends anymore. Do you....D'you think we can still be friends?"

I smiled, grasping his hand. "Yeah. We can still be friends."

If only it were that easy. If only we could be kids again and when we'd say stupid things, we were able to take it back. The good thing when you got older was you didn't say you were done being friends with someone fifty times. The bad thing is, when you are done being someone's friend, it's set in stone.

I'd considered going back down to the barn and apologizing for two days. But I stayed locked up in my room, feeling miserable.

He never should have found out that way. I was mad and I wanted to hurt him. So why hadn't I just said I was dating Kyle? Why did I have to tell him he was basically nothing to me? It wasn't true; I had remembered our childhood right away. But by the way I said it, it made it sound as if I had never cared about him.

If I was feeling this sick to my stomach, I couldn't imagine how Liam was feeling. I replayed that single moment in my head a thousand times, doing something different every time. One time I even kissed him; don't ask how it got there, it just did.

If only things were as simple as they had been when we were kids......

A/N It's s'posed to be short; just a filler chapter. I'm sure everyone did the 'I'm-not-your-friend-anymore' deal when you were little. I did that all the time to my best friend. One time it was over a McDonalds toy (Patty, from Doug). My friend had said I could have it, but then took it back. So I said she was a liar and Indian giver, and she said we weren't friends anymore (she was always the first to say it). So my cousin Chris talked to me and my cousin Tony talked to my friend. It was pretty sweet. Chris and Tony are awesome cousins (even if Chris liked to scare me at night by going outside with this freaky gorilla mask on and standing outside the windows)

VOTES?

COMMENTS?

TTFN,

Hannah

P. S What's your favorite 'I'm-not-your-friend-anymore' story as a kid?