Chapter 23 Surrender?

Start from the beginning

"Have to leave. I know, Preet." He wasn't even listening anymore.

"That's--"

"We're done with this conversation."

"But R--"

He put a finger to my lips shushing me. I pushed his hand away irritated and walked away. Rahul thought he knew everything but he didn't.

He called Sam and told him he found me. Then, he told him that he was skipping the rest of the day.

Now, he's skipping work for me. Keep elevating the guilt, Rahul.

"Did you know that you look better being the happy, drama queen you are?" he joked, though nothing was funny. He moved his hand to take mine. Because I was mad at him for not letting me talk earlier, I pulled away. "Preet, if you are not happy with me, then say so."

Was he serious? "Of course I'm happy with you, Rahul."

"Toh haath pakdo (then take my hand)." He was a drama queen himself. I grabbed his hand harshly. "Pyaar se pakdo (hold with care)." I held his fingers. He took my whole hand in his.

"Happy?"

"Very," he said sarcastically. "Can I ask you something?" He took my silence as a yes. "What's your favorite color?"

"Depends on my mood and the weather. Why?" He was so random.

"Mine's black." No kidding. All he wore was black and white. "What's your favorite and least favorite movie?" He ignored my why.

"Kal Ho Na Ho. For both," I answered. He raised a questioning eyebrow. "Shahrukh was perfect, but he died in the end. Yours?"

"I don't have a least favorite. My favorite is any Salman Khan movie."

"Wah Pinte (Go Pinte)," I muttered. He didn't get it. "Main toh superman. Salman ka fan. (I'm superman. A fan of Salman)." A song. "No? Okay."

Rahul hadn't heard it so he moved along asking other questions. He said he wanted us to know more about each other. We talked and walked, hand in hand, down the streets of New York.

"How many siblings do you have?"

"None. You?"

"I have an older sister," he said. "But she doesn't talk to me." What? "Who do you live with in Delhi?"

"Mama and papa. Your--?" We walked down the crowded street in the lit up city.

"I live with dad here. My mom left about two years ago." Rahul was gazing ahead, holding my hand tightly. "She was on social media a lot and talked to strangers. One stranger was a male who she skyped frequently. Dad assumed she was cheating on him."

"You don't have to te--"

"She was planning on starting a charity organization," he continued, "for girls' education in India. The man happened to know a lot about that. Since he lived in India, she could only Skype him for getting arrangements done."

Rahul had told me there was some misunderstanding between his parents. I didn't know it was over something like this.

"You dad didn't find out about the charity?" I asked carefully.

"He did," Rahul said and shrugged, "but she had left by then. He still tries to get her to come back, but Mom's furious over how little he trusted her."

"Men," I said shaking my head. I'm such a hypocrite. "Sorry."

"Don't be."

"Don't you talk to your mom?" I asked.