Chapter 103

Scars like Poison

2035

Aidan

Her touch on my skin was almost enough to send me tipping over the edge to complete insanity. I have never felt someone trace my scars so gently, yet I have never had someone be so... full of love, still, after seeing them.

Am I in Love? We kissed, yes. But am I?

More than that, it feels like I'm falling from a tower with her being the only suspension.

She would have jumped after me if I fell.

She still looks at me the same after I showed her my perhaps most vulnerable side. I'm not a monster in her eyes, not a weakling, not a fool.

Valencia has her arms wrapped around my shoulders from behind and gently presses a soft kiss right in the dip of the bone between my shoulder and the first scar, sending a feeling close to a burn over my skin.

"You're so strong," she whispers, "so strong for still going."

When I turn around in my sleep and want to place my arm on one side, it hits something hard.

What-

It takes me a minute to regain the orientation of where I am and whom I am with. I notice Valencia, sleeping peacefully next to me. Weirdly enough, I was able to, too, without even staring into the darkness this time. It's new, almost odd, to have someone next to me like this. After a moment, I slump back down into the pillows and pull my blanket over my shoulders again, wrapping my arm around Valencia's waist instead.