Chapter 49

Un-Friended

2031

Sina

"What the fuck have you done?!" Suraya snaps at me as soon as Aidan is out of my view.

"I'm s-sorry..."

"Yes, yes, you fucking should be!" she crosses her arms and stares at me, totally emotionless.

"Jason was my friend," I whisper and drop my gun limply at my side.

Suraya scoffs. "Aidan was my friend, so what? Congratu-fucking-lations, now we're both suffering the same loss!"

My lip almost starts to bleed, I'm biting down so hard on it. "Rui..."

"No, it's Suraya, only for you."

Her words cut like daggers into my heart and subconsciously, I press my hand on the cut on my shoulder.

My hand shouldn't hold the gun anymore. I drop it on the ground and kick it away, into the corner. I know my decision could be fatal, without my gun, Suraya doesn't have one and we could be screwed.

No, we will go back to the base.

He just wanted to help. And I disregarded it.

Suraya shoulders her bag and taps her foot on the ground, impatiently. "You were ready to shoot him, weren't you? You were so fucking ready. Would you have felt anything? Remorse?"

"Rui- I mean, Suraya, please!" I call after her when she turns on her heel with a huff around and is about to walk back down the stairs.

"No, Sina, avenging your friend's death because of a stupid decision he made himself by shooting another? Come on..."

I catch up to her. "Suraya, you're the only one I have le-"

"Your fault then," she spits and walks down the stairs.

At the bottom of the stairwell, she waits for me, though. Her dark eyes lock with mine. "Either we both find Aidan and or get back to the base, or I'll do it myself."

"You're fourteen," I note.

"Fifteen. Don't pity me."

Her middle finger pointed upwards when she heads to the door is not the encouragement I need right now.