Chapter 74

Faith

2035

Aidan

It is about 4 am. I finally found some sleep. But my dreams are interrupted by a sound. And it's coming from the front shelter door.

Bang! Bang!

My first instinct is to grab my gun lying on the concrete floor next to my mattress. I am awake now, no more sleepy grogginess. Adrenaline pumps through my veins within the first three seconds of the banging on the door.

Realization dawns on me.

I didn't lock it. It normally has an automated lock switch that makes the door lock when it falls shut, but I forgot to check that yesterday when I got home.

Eating lukewarm soup and looking for a stranger was more important than providing for my safety.

Bang! Bang! Bang! Again - three times this time.

I jump up from my mattress, hastily pulling on a shirt.

There is a small window in the wall of my upstairs shelter, the moonlight illuminates the room through it. I check my gun in the faint light.

The sound isn't an animal - unless animals now know how to politely knock on the door.

It is the stranger girl - Valencia?

I can't be too sure. How would she know where I live? Yes, I gave her a hint in the message. Back in the time when I didn't know who I was dealing with, I didn't want to give out my coordinates so easily and right now, I don't want to assume it is not her.

The safety of my gun is on. My senses are on high alert when I hear the click! of it as I pull it off.

Fifteen bullets - I hope I don't have to use a single one. I tuck the weapon into the waistband of my pants. My heart races so fast that I can't make out individual beats anymore.

I squint my eyes to look through the small wired window in my shelter wall.

Bang!

There's a moment of silence as if they are contemplating to leave.

Then another Bang!

My eyes fly to the door again. I march toward it, my finger ready on the trigger, hidden behind my back. This isn't the first time a noise has approached my door and also not the first time of me being paranoid.

I just hope that whoever it is doesn't get the idea of twisting the wheel on the outside.

The steel door also has a wheel on the inside, it only needs one turn clockwise to open.

I twist it. My heart puckers in my throat.

The hinges squeal and the door opens about an inch wide. I don't allow it to open wider.

And in the darkness of the night, her shadow illuminated by the moonlight stands Valencia - the stranger I met four days ago. I instantly exhale sharply. She looks at me, both apologetic and worried, and fiddles around with the ends of her braid.

"Sorry," she whispers.

I bite my lip, my gun still hidden behind my back. I let go of the trigger. We have made a deal - I won't shoot her if she doesn't.

"Don't worry," I reply to her apology, scanning the darkness behind her over her shoulder.

"I'm alone if that's what you're worried about," Valencia says while rubbing her arms under her dark red jacket. I clear my voice and raise my hands to show her that I let go of the trigger of my gun. She just raises one eyebrow.