Chapter 20

The Choice is Mine

1995

Maxine

Rain on my skin.

Something I never expected to feel ever since the day the number one weather anomaly was declared to be acidic rain.

Whatever its cause is is unknown to this day, or at least I haven't been told yet.

I dared to step outside, my curiosity got the better of me.

Sometimes, pushing aside fear is a tough act but the results can be so worth it.

I lean my head back to look at the sky. The raindrops trickle down and softly hit my cheeks and all I can do is smile.

The world is not as messed up as it may seem from time to time.

Maybe I can feel alive after all.

I'm alone here, outside of the community tent, slowly extending my hands to feel the water in my palms.

The rest of the people in the camp have scurried away, seeking comfort in the tents while I seek mine outside in something so simple and mundane like feeling rain on my skin, it almost feels absurd.

When I inhale, I fight the urge to cough. It's still evident, in minor situations.

I didn't cough blood for too long. But the dry and hoarse feeling in my throat remains.

Maybe the nurse was right, it'll heal.

No one is here with me, not even Ryle, although my fantasies paint out a heated kiss under the veils of rain.

Does he like me back?

Abruptly, I drop my hands. I never asked myself that question. Sure, I like him, I don't deny it anymore, I don't fight it.

We hit on each other, or were his jokes and nudges only for fun?

I wouldn't mind if they were.

But I never asked myself if he felt the same. Do I have to assume when it would be better to ask him in private?

I shake my head and close my eyes, taking a deep breath. The air smells like ozone and wet soil, almost carrying a strangely familiar scent of... aftershave?

I tear my eyes open.

There he stands, like I only imagined, in the rain slowly getting heavier, and a mischievous grin is plastered on his face.

Ryle.

My Ryle... I mean-

"Hi," I manage to squeeze out while my heart already begins to skip every second beat.

Is that healthy?

"Hey, Max."

Max.

Not Maxie this time.

I still smirk from my nickname when Ryle comes closer. He knows what he's doing and he's good at it.

When he stops a few steps short in front of me, I almost expect him to lean in and-

"Can I talk to you, in private?"

What?

"Can I talk to you too, in private, please?" I ask back, keen.

It's bold of me to assume we are both asking this favor for the same reason.

Ryle nods over his shoulder to the military tent he works in. "I just came from the debriefing, I have time."